Subwoofer build - Morel UW1258, 12" Ultimate Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What the foam does is damp the panels that it is attached to decreasing the coloration caused by box resonances, which is good.

Normal acoustic foam does not damp the panels, since it does not change the stiffness of the panel, nor does it change the mass. It is a filter that isolates the panel from some of the sound coming from inside the box. It filters out mostly higher frequencies though.

Normal acoustic foam does not damp the panels, since it does not change the stiffness of the panel, nor does it change the mass. It is a filter that isolates the panel from some of the sound coming from inside the box. It filters out mostly higher frequencies though.

Take a guitar and set a piece of acoustic foam 1"x1"x4" under the strings does it change the resonance of the strings? It doesn't change the mass of the strings nor does it change the "stiffness".

Acoustic foam still has an effect at lower frequencies. For example, Sonic Barrier has an absorption coefficient of 0.1 at 125Hz. At 500Hz it is anywhere from 0.2 to 0.7. It only goes up from there. Linkwitz measured significant harmonics from a "good" subwoofer up to at least 300Hz. Woofer measurements

speaking of relativity...
3/4 plywood has an SAC of .2 at 125Hz and .15 at 500Hz, a bare concret block wall has a SAC of .36 at 125hz, 0.44 at 250Hz and 0.31 at 500Hz. You'd be better off lining a subwoofer box with drywall (sac .29 at 125Hz, .13 at 250Hz)
than "sonic barrier"

btw, What was the amplitude of the harmonics at 300Hz?

Attachments

• thor-dst4.jpg
    thor-dst4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
speaking of relativity...
3/4 plywood has an SAC of .2 at 125Hz and .15 at 500Hz, a bare concret block wall has a SAC of .36 at 125hz, 0.44 at 250Hz and 0.31 at 500Hz. You'd be better off lining a subwoofer box with drywall (sac .29 at 125Hz, .13 at 250Hz)
than "sonic barrier"

It's true about the bare concrete block, but you have to realize that the other materials you mention are measured while installed on a stud wall with hollow air cavities behind it. I'm pretty sure their properties would change a lot if the were mounted directly on a solid material.
Coefficient Chart
The rigid fiberglass board looks the best to me.

Last edited:
Take a guitar and set a piece of acoustic foam 1"x1"x4" under the strings does it change the resonance of the strings? It doesn't change the mass of the strings nor does it change the "stiffness".

Is this an acoustic guitar or electric? I don't have a guitar so I can't do your experiment.

Like I said before, the foam does not damp the panels. It's an acoustic filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.