Sub Vibration Noise Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glue and construction

Hello all,just read this. If he hasn't glued his box and it seemed like he didn't know he had to do that, and everyone says loads or tons of glue. I just wanted to point out that too much glue makes a weak joint. Does he know that? If you screw mdf, it helps to pinch pieces together whilst the glue sets. Theres no need to overtighten the screws, and make a tight won't come undone fix. Thats what the glue is for. If you use clamps etc, you can just glue, without nails or screws.

I have'nt looked, but a collaberation of assembley techniques could be stickied. A list of glue types, hints and tips from any clever Chippies amongst us all. I spent a year studying fine furniture construction, about 10 years ago, and have forgotten a fair bit of what I learnt and yes, theres plenty of info on the web. But, what works best for solid subs?

Cheers mikee55:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
When I say tons of glue, I mean a lot of glue, more than a novice constructor would normally put on the joint, because the excess will squeeze out. It goes without saying that you will use clamps to hold the parts tightly together while the glue dries- we are building high quality loadspeakers here!
Too much glue DOES NOT make a weak joint. Sloppy cuts, misinformation and most of all impatience make weak joints.
Without going into a whole symposium on proper construction techniques, here are a few pointers from a journeyman carpenter who's been working in the trade for 25 years:
1 - make your cuts as staight and true as your ability allows. If there is a gap between the pieces, try to correct it.
2 - When it comes to wood, and wood products(MDF, plywood, particle board) there are only two types of glue I will use: Yellow carpenter's glue (PVA) for all interior work, and polyurethane glue for exterior or wet applications. Both of these will form the strongest, permanent bold possible. Both of these glue work best when applied liberally to the tight fitting joint and clamped till dry. As I said earier, the excess will squeeze out. If you find that your joints are not tight and you lack the ability to fix it, use of the polyurethane glue will actually bridge the gap, as it foams during the drying time. It can easily fill an eighth inch gap( 2 MM).
3 - I love screws, but screws will split egde grain if the correct size pilot hole is not drilled first, and even with the pilot hole screws will most likely split MDF, which is very weak along its edgegrain.
Just some sound advice from someone who does it for a living.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.