Sub ohm question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. Been tinkering and working with ohms etc. I have two home theater subs. I am going to use these in my shop for tunes. I am running a power supply for all of this. I know I could just go buy a home stereo for my shop. But I like to tinker.

My question is I am also using a car amplifier, stereo, speakers I had laying around. The home subs are both very nice and FREE! haha key word free lol.

I have two home subs that are 480W , and the issue is one is 1.5 ohm and the other is 3 ohm. If I wire these two subs in series will the ohm come to 4.5 ohm? The reason I ask is my amplifier is 2 and 4 ohm configuration. And is stereo and bridgeable at the same time, also 4 channel. Will 4.5 ohm be ok to run on a 4 ohm channel?

My car amp I’m using is Dual Stereo Bridged, Stereo + Bridged Mono, Dual Bridged Mono capable.

Here are the specs of my amp below.

Class: Class A/B
Variable Voltage: 6 - 0.2V
Signal to Noise: >94dB
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
Crossover Frequency Range CH1 & CH2: Selectable FULL HPF 120HZ-3kHz
Crossover Frequency Range CH3 & CH4: Selectable FULL LPF 50Hz-250Hz ; HPF 120HZ-3kHz
Tone Control: Bass EQ @45Hz
Bass Boost: Selectable 0 / 6 / 12dB
Power Output @ 2 Ohms: 4 x 875 W
Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 4 x 425 W
Mono Bridged @ 4-Ohms: 2 x 1750 W
Total Channels: 4

Just need some advice on how to wire these two subs to comply with the amp specs.

Sorry for post length but wanted to be complete and not leave info out to make possible helpers here guessing on specs.

Thank you in advance!

BigDaddy.:Popworm:

1)I have two home subs that are 480W , and the issue is one is 1.5 ohm and the other is 3 ohm. If I wire these two subs in series will the ohm come to 4.5 ohm?
2)The reason I ask is my amplifier is 2 and 4 ohm configuration. And is stereo and bridgeable at the same time, also 4 channel. Will 4.5 ohm be ok to run on a 4 ohm channel?

Power Output @ 2 Ohms: 4 x 875 W
Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 4 x 425 W
Mono Bridged @ 4-Ohms: 2 x 1750 W
Total Channels: 4
BigDaddy,

1) Yes, but wired in series, the "3 ohm" driver will draw twice the power as the "1.5 ohm" driver.
2) The amp appears to be rated down to 2 ohms, so anything above that impedance is OK to drive. 1.5 ohms is not too far below 2 ohms, the amp would probably be OK with that load on one channel, series wire resistance might add up to another 1/2 ohm anyway if the wire was also free ;^).
Since the two drivers are rated the same power, you should set the amp channel input driving the "1.5 ohm" speaker -3 dB from the "3 ohm" driver's channel to compensate for the lower impedance driver drawing twice the power.

Last edited:
BigDaddy,

1) Yes, but wired in series, the "3 ohm" driver will draw twice the power as the "1.5 ohm" driver.
2) The amp appears to be rated down to 2 ohms, so anything above that impedance is OK to drive. 1.5 ohms is not too far below 2 ohms, the amp would probably be OK with that load on one channel, series wire resistance might add up to another 1/2 ohm anyway if the wire was also free ;^).
Since the two drivers are rated the same power, you should set the amp channel input driving the "1.5 ohm" speaker -3 dB from the "3 ohm" driver's channel to compensate for the lower impedance driver drawing twice the power.

Thank you so much for your wisdom! I appreciate it very much!:wave2::umbrella:

BigDaddy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.