Sub for Office

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need to build a sub for at the office. Room is about 400-500 sq. ft. and the unit will but sitting under my desk. Speakers are Mirage Omni-150 running off a Denon receiver.

All music, but I prefer my subs tuned lower. I like the sub on my Klipsch Pro Ultra 5.1. On my home theater I have a Paradigm Monitor SE Sub which is the only sealed sub I have ever liked but its still missing the low end punch I like.

So I am undecided between a ported or 4th order bandpass enclosure.

Pictures of my setup. Sub position isn't 100% fixed, I can move it around under the desk some.

pvOvZZb.jpg

GRPuzo7.jpg

Read the creative sound trio 12 was highly reccomended. Couldn't find it on the site but see a combo 10" sub with amp for under $400.

Creative Sound - Product Details

Is there a better bang for buck than this? Or for my application? The 24.5Hz vented tuning example in the spec sheet sounds pretty close to what I want.

Need to build a sub for at the office. Room is about 400-500 sq. ft. and the unit will but sitting under my desk. Speakers are Mirage Omni-150 running off a Denon receiver.

All music, but I prefer my subs tuned lower. I like the sub on my Klipsch Pro Ultra 5.1. On my home theater I have a Paradigm Monitor SE Sub which is the only sealed sub I have ever liked but its still missing the low end punch I like.

It could use some kind of bass boost or EQ, looks like the PE only has the basics main level and crossover. An EQ will give it deeper punch.

I wouldnt get the kit because it comes with a bash. They made a lot better plates up to a point.

Would the kit with the Yung be better? Creative Sound - Product Details

I have first hand experience with BASH poor quality (Klipsh amps) but don't want to spend a ton of money on this either.

What plate amp would be better? I was looking at Class-D boards on ebay but then would need a power supply and make an enclosure.

Part of me thinks I need to go up to a 12" woofer, not sure why. Don't really want a 20"x20"x20" box under my desk to kick with my foot. Most of the time this will at very moderate listening levels as to not annoy others in the office, but I do have times after hours and on weekends that I can crank it while I work.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You don't have to build a pair… i was pointing out that i had.

That kit looks fine. When i looked at all the CSS drivers i decided the 10s had the best HF response and went low snuff. I am also partial to push-push pairs in a box. The active vibration cancelation of the push-push pair significantly reduces the load on the box (ours are built with 15mm BB and i have to turn them up 10dB above loud to get the box move -- and that could well be caused by harmonics as the amp clips)

dave

It could use some kind of bass boost or EQ, looks like the PE only has the basics main level and crossover. An EQ will give it deeper punch.

This got me thinking and I found Equalizer APO for windows and downloaded it.

It's helped a bit at home, still need to play with it. Really need to get a mic.

But at the office is where its really helped. Boosted 20Hz by 6db, 33Hz by 10db, and 63Hz by 8db with -15.7db on the preamp. These speakers amaze me.

Looking at the response graph of the sub I used to have here, perfectly flat from 55-65Hz and dipped at 80, peaked at 48Hz, -3db @ 40Hz -10db @30Hz . Bandpass with a 8" driver. I liked this sub other than it didn't go low enough. I might actually see if I can find a plate amp I can replace the one it had with. Hopefully it didn't have too much DSP going on that I wont be able to replicate.

Still looking at the SDX12B http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/Duet12XBL.pdf. My only fear is the high end roll off would be too much. Been playing with Equalizer APO for windows, maybe I can compensate for any lacking in the 60Hz-80Hz range with EQ.

I'd suggest that whatever plate amp you settle on that you provide a separate sealed enclosure for it. Politely put, I'm of the opinion that sharing the enclosure with a sub woofer driver is not the best plan for long term durability, and even when "sealed" every plate amp I've seen/used had a flimsy plastic cover. Better yet might be something in a completely separate cabinet, like a Behringer NU1000 - even with currency exchange, etc, landed cost should be cheaper than the BASH. As an authorized Parts Express reseller I'm sure Bob could probably order one for you if you like -and there may be direct Canadian suppliers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That would help, but you are only bracing it to the brace, it should be solid all the way to the back of the box (where the plate amp gets in the way).

Here is the inside of our twin SDX10 box to give an idea. It does have the significant advantage of having active reactive force cancelation.

push-push-SDX10-inside-view.jpg

The brace should be firmly against the magnet but not stress it. We have had no problems with it causing any noise (many, many builds)

dave

Picture showed up later.

How about this?

sn7Wwn7.jpg

PC7PqSk.png

The vertical brace is one peice all the way to the back. The horizontal are split between the vertical. I took out the horizontal and corner ones for clarity on the second pic.

In case its not clear I have the horizontal bracing wrapped around the magnet the magnet the same as the verticle, which also connect to the back.

I did this edit quick and rough. Will have to fine tune it and make it look nicer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.