Stupid question: Where do you find the steel transformer plates...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reason I asked if I should build using metal enclosure is I thought using metal would help in shielding and ground connection.

I thought the main ground wire should be connected to the case and ground/shield wire of the toroids. Each channel's ground (to positive speaker output) should also connect to the case ground. Isn't it correct?

BTW, I also tried 3300uF rather than 1000uF and the sound was horrid (harsh, mid-fi sound). I also try some techflex cover on my Cat-5 power cable and the sound got worse (less dynamics)

The reason I asked if I should build using metal enclosure is I thought using metal would help in shielding and ground connection

You are correct about the shilding effect of a metallic case but probably the best solution is a non-metallic case lined with a thin sheet of copper.

I thought the main ground wire should be connected to the case and ground/shield wire of the toroids. Each channel's ground (to positive speaker output) should also connect to the case ground. Isn't it correct?

The earthwire is attached to the case (or shield/heatsink) to 'drain away' the RFI. It is also attached to the power ground star via a 100 ohm resistor with a 0.22uf cap in parallel (values vary).

The loudspeaker returns are connected to the power ground star.

I also try some techflex cover on my Cat-5 power cable and the sound got worse (less dynamics)

I'm not surprised. Damping cables is not a good idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.