Strange Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tread this for me was a little fun.:)
I built this tonearm and I wanted to make something known components for self construction of Hifi. Unfortunately, I can not enough English to really discuss it. (Google translater)
A word about the spherical stylus. Only the round diamonds that can record the most optimal sampling. This knowledge is now no longer available and not so easy to understand. But the argument has been made scientifically, long time ago. Now read on Konzept und Text: Christian Rintelen - Kommunikationsstrategien, Werbekonzepte, Werbetexte, Audio-/Video Werbung, Adaptationen und Übersetzungen, Journalistische und PR-Texte in English

Hi tinnitus
I wanted the first reactions without reading me as creator mentioned. If the reactions were so negative, as in the German Forum Analog I had not written anything.
The initial responses in the German forum were very derogatory.
How ugly he is ......
Gruss, Theo

A word about the spherical stylus. Only the round diamonds that can record the most optimal sampling. This knowledge is now no longer available and not so easy to understand. But the argument has been made scientifically, long time ago. Now read on concept and text in English.

Thanks for link. You must be referring to this German article in PDF format.

Too bad, I can't read German...

headshell pivot point

Hi Peril,

I just saw a diagram of your tonearm that shows the stylus is not at the same spot as the pivot point. It's in front of the pivot point and looks like pivot is at same spot as the suspension so it is not geometrically similar to, say, the Garrard Zero 100 or Thales Simplicity. It's close to a Burne-Jones style geometry. Care to elaborate on your design choices?

tonarm2.jpg

A word about the spherical stylus. Only the round diamonds that can record the most optimal sampling. This knowledge is now no longer available and not so easy to understand. But the argument has been made scientifically, long time ago.

Honestly, this is b u l l s h i t . :down:
A stylus that isn't able to follow all grooves' modulations cannot be any "superior". ;)

Nevertheless, the tonearm is nice.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It is an interesting tone arm and looks very well executed.

I have also heard/read the arguments over spherical styli and have two 12" tone arms in service, (one is a Schick, the other an SME 3012 clone I built from a kit and salvaged SME 3009 bits and pieces) and yet I still find the elliptical or line contact stylus on my (3) SPUs preferable to the spherical stylus version SPU which nonetheless seems more capable a tracker than the ZU DL-103 I once owned.

I should note that I have several very close friends who still argue with me over the stylus geometry issue over a good beer.. I'm not sold based on what I have heard.

The Garrard arm is horrible, and the table flimsy -- well I'll try to be charitable and keep my mouth shut. I've worked on just one..

I own two Thorens TD-124 and love Swiss engineering. I also own a Garrard 401 and think that is cool and can't wait to get it running.

I love good German engineering. A German car is in my near future.

I own a Benz Ebony H, and think that is not so great.

I like the arm and am envious of the obvious skill that went into building it. :cheers:

OP if you are still out there: How about some details on how to build this arm if one had a machine shop and was curious..

"Strange Tonearm"

Since pictures were never posted on here before. I will repost the Peril's images here that I posted in my other thread:

tonmagnet.jpg

tonarm.jpg

sme.jpg

headshell6.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What's curious is that the plotting is appears to be based on four pivot points like
Thales Simplicity or Garrard Zero 100 but according the diagram the stylus tip
is not in the same spot as the pivot point of the swiveling headshell.
Stylus tip is in front of the pivot point.

skize2.jpg

tonarm2.jpg

I hope member Peril is still around to enlighten us.

hi
Thanks for the message. Clear my fault.
Now the correct drawing is on my blog.
The tonearm has the rotation point, of course, on the height of the diamond tip! unfortunately I do not know how to put pictures into the forum.
spurwinkelfehler.blogspot.com/‎

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.