strain gauge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to mention that I have a Win Strain Gauge source module for the Panasonic. ...The only issue is that there simply is not enough gain.
I have a WIN sg cartridge, and have also used a panasonic. The WIN has at least 6dB more gain than the Panasonic, so given that the WIN module is optimised for the WIN cartridge, i would fully expect that you won't get enough gain when you use the panasonic. I don't use the WIN module, I have built my own discrete j-fet step-up, and from the WIN i get 2 volts (line output) with most records. Which is obviosuly the way its designed. But when i substitute a Panasonic cartridge, there is not enough gain. This has been confirmed by my audio buddy who owns the Panasonic cartridge, he also has a WIN cartridge and module and confirms the lower output from the Pana.

I love the sound of the WIN, I haven't applied any equalisation and I don't really feel the need to do so. A few discs are a bit bass heavy but I love some bass and this is not a problem, theoretically the strain gauge should have reduced treble but I have never experienced this.

I also own Zyx universe and R100 cartridges, and a Grado signature, and a Shure V5. so before anyone asks, I have used MM, MC and MI before I used the WIN. I do know what good cartridges sound like, and am comparing the strain gauge to high quality competition. It competes with ease.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.