Stock FE127E vs. planet10 EnABLed - Results

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisb said:
so for me, it becomes a matter of SD,STFU and listen

If that sounds a bit harsh and dismissive, I'll defend myself by reminding y'all that I've been listening to the results of the EnABL process for almost 2 years, and have borne witness to a lot of bandwidth and pixels wasted in the acrimonious pi$$ing contest between rigid objectivity and whatever you'd like to call its antithesis. I place myself in the "I don't give a fig how/why it works - for me it just does" camp

This is exactly what I did last night after getting my pair of FE126eN's up and running after an hour or so. I sat down and shut the F up. In fact, I'm still sitting down and shutting the F up. LOL

If there was ever a doubter about these tweaks, it was me. Even after I had them in my hot little hands and looking at the excellent detail and time Dave puts into these, I still doubted it.

It wasn't until I got them playing (and especially after the 1st hour) that I started to notice things. Things like greater inner detail, longer, clearer decays, hearing deeper into the sound stage, clearly noticing the much wider sweet spot. Another pleasant surprise is absolutely no need for BSC.

As long as you have decent bass support under 100Hz (at least in my current setup), there's nothing these modded drivers can't do correctly.

How does EnABLe work? - I'm not too sure yet.
Why does EnABLe work? - I would be lying if I said I didn't care.

If you doubt the EnABLe process, don't! Buy a pair of tweaked drivers and find out for yourself first hand how good they really are. No joke!

All I have to say about it at this point is that I am a firm believer and glad that I have finally heard them for myself. I fear that this is going to open up an entirely new, long span of on-going projects for me now. Ever since last night, I have one idea after the other popping into my head on enclosure designs. Hmm... :scratch2:

doorman said:
Where's Nitpicker when you need him?
"cmon, Nit,chime in here!
Don

Don - I think that after thawing out from frostbite contracted attending the inauguration, he's getting caught up talking guns & DACs with Ed and the boyz at Steve's 'hood.

Of course, he could also be posting here under a different alias - so unless you've had a face to face, y'all never know for sure who your friends (really) are

Hi Aengus, fascinating post! It's nice when something turns out to be repeatable, i.e. not a case of one's ears playing tricks.

I concur that testing is the key, as blind as possible. I would assume the hifi world is not interested in testing because it would be financially risky. :)

If you

If you have not tried The EnAbl'ed Drivers from Dave...
All I can say is...
Stop wondering about the results or if it works...
For goodness sakes...
Take action... Do something good for your ears and brain...
It won't hurt one bit.

Enid Lumley would have been on this like stink on
You all remember Enid don't you?

Re: If you

Phil Townsend said:
If you have not tried The EnAbl'ed Drivers from Dave...
All I can say is...
Stop wondering about the results or if it works...
For goodness sakes...
Take action... Do something good for your ears and brain...
It won't hurt one bit.

I for one am in 110% agreement!

Oh yeah, and I'm not employed by, or otherwise associate with... Well, you all know the drill. hehehe :clown:

Hi guys, revisiting this a week later:

I am skeptical by nature and have wondered if what I heard would stand up to repeated listening. So today, I listened to various cabs, including BLH's and BR's, then the FE127eN's again.

The FE127eN's seem to be the best even though they are in junky boxes. In fact, I got lost in Jane's Monheit's album "In the Sun" and was (proverbially and literally) late to dinner. The speakers do not sound like speakers -- it's a cliche but they do disappear.

I'm willing to admit that there are factors at work here, e.g. I'm subconsciously selecting tracks that happen to sound good on those drivers. So this isn't scientific. But I believe at this point that the EnABL phenomenon stands up to repeated listenings. As a result, I'm liquidating my "hundred pound horns" (BLH's) since I can get better results in a smaller package.

rjbond3rd said:
I'm liquidating my "hundred pound horns" (BLH's) since I can get better results in a smaller package.
didn't you get an EnABL kit; or put one together yourself?
are your 166s EnABLed?

on cabinet EnABL--
when i get some time, i'm gonna try doing it with wood.
using a piece of something hard, like some left-over pieces of red oak. rip thin pieces, 1/16? 1/8? then cut to width; length.
can make a long piece to use as a jig...
but have other "irons in the fire" @ the moment...
autoformers on the way, need to make adaptors for goto drivers..

rjbond3rd said:
The FE127eN's seem to be the best even though they are in junky boxes. The speakers do not sound like speakers -- it's a cliche but they do disappear.

But I believe at this point that the EnABL phenomenon stands up to repeated listenings. As a result, I'm liquidating my "hundred pound horns" (BLH's) since I can get better results in a smaller package.

Exactly what I'm hearing constantly as well, hence why I'm in no rush to get to designing and building real enclosures for these little guys of mine (FE126eN)!

I'm listening to Diana Krall - All For You. All I can honestly say about this system is WOW! These sound like any magneplanar, electrostat or OB that I've ever heard before. They are open, boxless, snappy, crisp and scary natural sounding.

I concur that testing is the key, as blind as possible. I would assume the hifi world is not interested in testing because it would be financially risky.

I suspect that is part of it (I don't *know* if it is, so I'll not judge or make claims)... also, in many cases, commercial testing that differentiates even 'moderate' degrees of qualitative change with adequate validity would be prohibitively expensive with little practical (monetary) reward (poor ROI?). It would also be nice to think that a couple of blokes (and/or examples of the more auditor-aly endowed gender) getting together to do randomised single or double blind tests with multiple cross-overs (some with washout - others without) could do it convincingly... but it aint close for making internally - let alone externally - valid claims that would stand up to the anticipated scrutiny...

I could explain why, but I have pretty-much wasted all the breath I can afford regarding SBT, DBT, and other listening tests / research approaches over at the AA. I may spruik on about it in more detail at some point - and I may even change my view tomorrow - but it will have to wait...

So, we rely on xxxxx and xxxxxx, understanding the benefits and limitations of such, which is fine if we are building systems that satisfy our own (subjective) wants... though, it can be costly for us, the 'subjects'.

S#!t, too much drink = too much rambling! Apologies :xeye:

Cheers

blind test

here is an interesting site about blind test in hifi....

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm

there is much more tests in the original spanish version.

Among them, there is some interesting results concerning the sources ;

On a blind test, nobody was able to make differences between a cheap dvd player and a high-end cd player.

Also interesting on an other test, people find differences between a cheap sony discman a pricey tube cd player but everydody did prefer the sound of the discman !

http://matrixhifi.com/marco.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.