stk-4151v test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK fixed both fuses. And I am getting 60vdc where I am supposed to get 33 ... but that is if I have 49v ac - I barely got 45v, 22.5 X 2 so 30 is what I should get, and how come I got 2 X.
Can a bridge rectifier blow in a way it puts out 2 x the voltage ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

Okay you're scaring me now...

Putting the bridge rectifier in flipped will reverse the output voltages and cause the end of the world :bomb: Really, you don't want to get hurt. The main filter caps would love to explode, and the STK modules would not take it well. You gotta be careful. Keep an eye on the filter caps if they heat up or bulge, then they are done!

Coming out of the transformer TE107, you should measure about 25-0-25VAC
Coming out of the bridge, you should measure 33-0-(-33VDC). That's 50VAC giving 66VDC... roughly. It depends on your powerline voltage too.
But you are getting 60-0-0VDC? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Check for an open connection between the xfmr center tap and circuit ground, and maybe a shorted filter cap. If the bridge was shorted it would get hot.

In the few mins I have powered it up nothing gets hot, in fact I powered it up a good 20 mins a few days ago (before the fuses blew) and it still didn't heat anything too much.

And 60-0-0 would make sense ... I got 60, 0, -60 - I simply cannot understand it. However I also should check if I have any chance of a bleed through from another output set from that trafo - its right next to it on the board, have to check if it has a connection.
Anyway work for me to do ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Oh yea worked on by a professional tech my *** ...

Amp is working now ... after I pulled the connections from the 45v output of the trafo ...

Cos the genius tech connected a "wh" pin to a blue wire and a "be" to a white wire ... as in swapped the 0 wire vs one of the 22.5 volt wires.

Cool.
Srinath.

Anyway I will explain a bit here I think.
This amp I bought from a lady whose husband was an electronics tech @ some controls company who had died.
He was fixing it. And she told me he had worked on it and said the transistor ? what transistor I dont know .... was what was bad.
That was over a year ago.
Well he did work on it, it had caps that were replaced, and likely other things were replaced as well, but the whole time I owned it i managed to never get it to make a sound. This amp was shutting down as soon as you click it on and disconnecting that 109 connector caused it to stay on, but no sound.
Finally testing the voltages ... the 60-0-(-60) mystery and while it was hard to see that the 3 pin post due to the wires cluster sitting on top of it, it did have very readable and visible (once you moved the wires) "be, wh, be" and the wires from the transformer were blue X 2 and white in color. It was rather a "d-uh" moment once I saw it.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.