• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Still not sure where to start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, im a newbie here on the forums, im a current EE major at my community college looking for a "simple" tube audio amplifier design to build to give me a leg up in my electronics class

i understand there are many different circuits on the forum and i have been browsing around, but being that i have never assembled an amplifier from scratch i have no idea where to start, i have 2 bookshelf speakers that i would like to have them run from the amp so my needs are just essentially to have a working tube amp

hope you guys can point me into the right direction

but being that i have never assembled an amplifier from scratch i have no idea where to start

This being the case, I would strongly urge you to start right here: Electrical Safety. You will be dealing with potentially dangerous voltages, and you wouldn't want this new hobby to come to any sudden and unfortunate ends. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Once you understand this, then you might want to have a look at these: Schemos from ElectraPrint. The 6BX7SE project is simple enough for a raw beginner, and should have enough output to drive bookend speeks.

R1C0,

What sort of budget do you have? The price of premium magnetics, like ElectraPrint offers, can induce cardiac arrest.

Can you provide a link to the specifications sheet for your speakers? To begin with, bookshelf speakers tend to be low sensitivity. All too often, derating is necessary, when mating to tubed power amplification is contemplated. :( Tube amps have smaller damping factors than SS amps. Therefore, the impedance curve of speakers is of increased importance.

a few hundred i suppose, i wouldnt mind spending to gather the materials for a first time build, well the speakers came from a Sharp microsystem so i cant find a full data sheet theyre supposed to be "rated" at 50w rms at 6ohms , 2inch tweeter with a 4 3\4 woofer

Pete Millet's big red board is $50, PCB based. Edcor has the transformer set for around $160. That leaves $90 for tubes, top and chassis and misc parts, quite doable. A great sounding amp as designed and later you could up the iron and output tubes to over 125watts/channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.