• I hear all sounds coming from a single horizontal plane

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I hear sounds coming from more than one single horizontal plane

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • I cant tell

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Graaf, Please describe what you are presently using.

same thing for years, speakers are changing for various reasons but setup stays basically the same, now the speakers are two-way Kef UniQs again, lying on their backs right on the floor and against the wall

that's all :cool:

and it can be even simpler, it can be as simple as one big bare coaxial if equalised appropriately, oh yes!

You don't believe? Then check out this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/10962-stereolith-loudspeakers-question-67.html#post2732948

best!
graaf

Last edited:
How about these sony's......it doesn't get more open than this.

Those look pretty cool. I can't make comparisons with Porta Pros anymore (broken) but at the time I was surprised that they worked better for me than my Audio Technica AD700s when using virtual surround. If you can expose enough of your ear to the external central speaker you can really pull the image forward.

The T50rp driver is great to work with because it spits out lots of bass when you open up the back. It means that you can go light with the earpads. Still, I want to try to make larger diaphragms, AMTs maybe, to try and get some spacing from the outer ear and still have enough low end without excessive weight. (At least to reach a nearfield subwoofer)

There is a strong learned response with headphones. The other night I was playing around with headphones/speakers and varying the volume/delay of each. I was able to get an in head localization with the speakers playing and the headphones on my head, after I'd turned off the headphones. This was after having the headphones as the primary source. There's some kind of hysteresis effect. I have an analogous effect if I listen to music after watching something on my projector. After spending an hour placing the sources (with visual clues) at the screen I feel that the soundstage with music is more convincingly located there.

As far as virtualisers go, I've tried Dolby Headphone, CMSS, MyEars, Flux, Longcat, Panorama 5. I don't think that anything can substitute for measurements of your own ears. If I EQ Dolby Headphone to match my diffuse field HRTF it sounds good but I'm not happy with the early reflections. I can post what it looks like in REW, if anyone wants to see the impulse response.

P.S. The most convincing out of head cue I've heard lately (with headphones) is in the first 10 seconds of Seth Sentry - Room for Rent. I really thought that I'd left the speakers on behind me when the song came on.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've never listened to Roger Waters "Amused to death" before (even though I'm a pink floyd and Roger Waters fan). I've read before (including in this thread) that the imaging is spectacular.

I searched for it on youtube tonight. Roger Waters Amused To Death Full cd - YouTube

WOW. If you haven't heard enveloping sound stage before give this a shot!

The sound stage is much wider than the speakers. Possibly wider than the room. Also sounds clearly coming from places in the room that don't seem to be possible (and it is not just fleeting, it stays there rock solid. I can hear this even without closing my eyes, normally I have to close my eyes to get a good illusion of sound stage!!! It collapses of course if I turn to look at where the sound appears to be coming from.

The most impressive is on the first track. I think it's a television which is in the background, which sounds to be coming from 3M to my left and slightly behind me. All this from a standard stereo setup.

Tony.

With good recordings my speakers give me a window into the recording space.
The space in which the recording was made is (more or less) accurately depicted behind the speakers in all 3 dimensions.
Effectively it sounds like sitting in the studio control room and the window glass to the live room has been removed.

I don't think music reproduction (stereo or mono) is capable of more without dramatically changing the way it is recorded/mixed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.