Stereo upmixing for dance stacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could be anything ranging from mono to all stacks, left signal to left side of dancefloor and right to right, or diagonally opposites...

You could probably do something interesting with a sum/difference signal.

It's also possible that the artist is making content for 6-channel surround.

Chris

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have been in Fabric room 1 which uses 4 speakers above the dance floor and its not mono, the effect is that your surrounded by the music and different sounds are coming from each direction. I'm almost certain the original content is stereo as that is the only capability of the decks. But like you say it could be as simple as left on the left and right on the right.

Its a pretty common configuration that seems to have originated with the Paradise Garage, also in use at Berghain (althoguh with only 4 stacks by the look of it):
https://djmag.com/sites/default/fil...p100/clubs/image/Berghain_1.jpg?itok=zoLsDGI-

aLt3rjzQNn7CFVVXRVRVmA-650-80.jpg

This looks like a comb-filtering disaster to me.

And in the last like image the sub placement is the same thing. Ever heard/felt 4 sub equally spaced in a square? You might be lucky if there are a few frequencies left where you can feel the bass.

Berghain_1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.