Stepped attenuator control board

I will attach the documentation for an Arduino based stepper motor control board. The starting point was to control the stepper motor originally offer by Bent Audio for a 24-position Goldpoint control, but now intended for a 47-position control. The Arduino offers the possibility to control much more than just the stepper motor, so I added 6 transistors intended to control small signal level relays. One relay is controlled by an IR mute command, and the others can be toggled through sequentially in response to a push button. With ports still left over, the last feature was to use the I2C ports to control an OLED display.

Several features are specific to my intended application. The code I developed only uses three of the input selection relays. Living in North America I wired the power transformer for 120Vac and used the space were a voltage select jumper could have been placed to add an AC port intended for the transformer that powers the rest of the audio circuits. The layout was done in KiCad and I will provide the design files if requested. As for the Arduino code, I am a hardware engineer, not a programmer. I channel my pet dog who helps me with the code, but she is on drugs for epilepsy and not always reliable. You probably should write your own code.

I have several left-over blank PCBs, and I believe a small number of the Bent Audio stepper motors are still available. More on that if there is interest.

Attachments

• ir_arduino_stpr_driver.pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 156
  • WIN_20220405_07_25_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220405_07_25_29_Pro.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 225
  • stepper grb.zip
    79.7 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1 users
I will need to clean up the file directory before it archives cleanly. That may take me a day or so. But yes, the design is close to what is needed to run a motorized pot. The voltage applied to the motor coils needs to be a regulated 5V, not the unregulated 10V. The code of course also changes as well.

I have placed the Kicad files in this archive. A number of the parts have custom footprints, so those will need to be place in a library. Problems that arise with moving this project to a different computer should probably be addressed in a Kicad forum.

Attachments

• Arduino_stepper.rar
    160.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 1 user