Stephens Tru-Sonic 206 AXA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Marshall - I've not been lucky enough to hear that coaxial but it was (and assume "is") prized in the original Karlson K15 enclosure

best, Freddy

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/K15.PNG

Thank you Freddy.
I've admired those boxes for some time. My current situation does not allow for me to attempt constructing a pair, unfortunately.
I do own a pair of JBL C40 boxes, which are currently loaded; I am considering making a new baffle board and trying the Stephens in those. Even that is a bit difficult as I live in a small place.
Do you know if the Stephens have been successfully used with an open baffle?
Marshall

hi Marshall - I've not been lucky enough to hear that coaxial but it was (and assume "is") prized in the original Karlson K15 enclosure

best, Freddy

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/K15.PNG

Hi Freddy,
Tell me about the Karlson; were they all home built or was there a Karlson factory as well?
The reason I ask is that I see them up for sale from time to time, and have always wondered.
Or am I better off finding a way to just build my own?
Is there any wood that has to be curved? (not 100% on this from the plans you provided, I am not much of a wood worker, more a re-finisher).
Thanks again,
Marshall

Hi Freddy,
Tell me about the Karlson; were they all home built or was there a Karlson factory as well?
The reason I ask is that I see them up for sale from time to time, and have always wondered.
Or am I better off finding a way to just build my own?
Is there any wood that has to be curved? (not 100% on this from the plans you provided, I am not much of a wood worker, more a re-finisher).
Thanks again,
Marshall

You had factory Karlsons as well as homemade efforts. I think that factory Karlsons can even be divided into home and pro versions, but don't quote me on that just yet! Perhaps even clones from other companies. I'm pretty sure Pioneer had one.

The old plans don't ask for any curved wood, but recently, curved reflector panels have been tried with I believe positive results. You can ask Freddy, as I think he might have tried it.

IG

You had factory Karlsons as well as homemade efforts. I think that factory Karlsons can even be divided into home and pro versions, but don't quote me on that just yet! Perhaps even clones from other companies. I'm pretty sure Pioneer had one.

The old plans don't ask for any curved wood, but recently, curved reflector panels have been tried with I believe positive results. You can ask Freddy, as I think he might have tried it.

IG

This is a fascinating prospect!
I have always relied on ready made, off the shelf boxes.
I regret now having just skimmed over Karlson material over the years, thinking that it/they didn't apply to me.
I also regret not having a proper wood working arraignment. (or the skills for that matter)
With the acquisition of these old Stephens it has become apparent to me that now I must get motivated!
I can hear that their current enclosures is all that is holding them back.
Regards,
Marshall

This is a fascinating prospect!
I have always relied on ready made, off the shelf boxes.
I regret now having just skimmed over Karlson material over the years, thinking that it/they didn't apply to me.
I also regret not having a proper wood working arraignment. (or the skills for that matter)
With the acquisition of these old Stephens it has become apparent to me that now I must get motivated!
I can hear that their current enclosures is all that is holding them back.
Regards,
Marshall

Let us know what you decide to do with them. It would be awesome if you built a Karlson! I myself am about to start a Karlsonette build. I'm also new to this type of enclosure and am enjoying learning about them.

IG

I had the good fortune to hear some 15" Stephens Tru-Sonic coaxials in new cabinets two years ago and they were incredible. They designer drove them with some 211, GM-70, and 845 SET monoblocks of his own creation. The room we were in was too small for that size driver and cabinet, but still there was no mistaking that fantastic coaxial/fullrange coherence.

I had the good fortune to hear some 15" Stephens Tru-Sonic coaxials in new cabinets two years ago and they were incredible. They designer drove them with some 211, GM-70, and 845 SET monoblocks of his own creation. The room we were in was too small for that size driver and cabinet, but still there was no mistaking that fantastic coaxial/fullrange coherence.

They will fill a room, that's for certain.
Effortless.
They have impressed me greatly, even with my less than optimum room (it stinks).
Bass is wonderful.

Marshall

according to one-time Karlson vice-president Wayne Green, there were 7 factories to keep up with demand. The Karlson enclosure was finished in design in the summer of 1951 and introduced in 1952.

"
Nothing at any price came close, which is why, within two years of my introducing it I, had seven factories busy trying to keep up with the orders…three in California and four in the NY area. It wiped out the competition.

—— Wayne ——"

Last edited:
according to one-time Karlson vice-president Wayne Green, there were 7 factories to keep up with demand. The Karlson enclosure was finished in design in the summer of 1951 and introduced in 1952.

"
Nothing at any price came close, which is why, within two years of my introducing it I, had seven factories busy trying to keep up with the orders…three in California and four in the NY area. It wiped out the competition.

—— Wayne ——"

Well, you and a little research have me convinced this is the way to go.
My problem will be trying to execute with VERY modest hand tools only.
I do have mechanical skills though.

Should I adhere to the original as shown in the plan you provided? And, does anyone offer an accurate kit of this enclosure that meets your approval?

Thank you again,
Marshall

you might find a homemade pair on Craigslist - once in a blue moon a factory cabinet will appear on Ebay. Karlson passed away in 1973 and I'm not sure now much longer his widow kept the company going. By the 70's (or before) John Karlson may had personally built the majority of the finished cabinets.

Gregg Baker hosts a Karlson speaker discussion forum: http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?board=1.0

seems to me Mark Hardy has a Karlson 15 and 206AX coax - maybe he can give you some opinions before you set about building or buying a pair

Last edited:
you might find a homemade pair on Craigslist - once in a blue moon a factory cabinet will appear on Ebay. Karlson passed away in 1973 and I'm not sure now much longer his widow kept the company going. By the 70's (or before) John Karlson may had personally built the majority of the finished cabinets.

Gregg Baker hosts a Karlson speaker discussion forum: Karlson Loudspeaker Discussion

seems to me Mark Hardy has a Karlson 15 and 206AX coax - maybe he can give you some opinions before you set about building or buying a pair

That sounds fine! Is Mark Hardy a member here? I did a search of the name and came up empty.

Thank you for all your input,
Marshall

Gregg Baker hosts a Karlson speaker discussion forum: http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?board=1.0

Yes, sadly. In the past 5 years there have been a couple of instances of cabinets, branded Karlson, for sale for next to nothing, on the craigslist here.

I foolishly passed not appreciating exactly what they were.

I signed up at the Gregg Baker site.

Marshall

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I heard some Stephens 206AXA speakers with a Jensen RP302 super tweeter at 329 Audio in Taiwan. They sounded great and I was always tempted to try out a pair. Here are a few links:

329 Audio

While the Stephens speakers were good, the Frazier horns with 30" EV woofers were amazing. But that's a separate story. Here are a few pictures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

---Gary

if they were real X15 Karlson there's a chance your coax won't fit depth-wise as they're only about 14" deep externally plus X15 have only about 60% of the air volume of K15. X15 would be a find on their own and should have some sort of slotted high frequency waveguide mounted on their reflector.

if they were real X15 Karlson there's a chance your coax won't fit depth-wise as they're only about 14" deep externally plus X15 have only about 60% of the air volume of K15. X15 would be a find on their own and should have some sort of slotted high frequency waveguide mounted on their reflector.

Thank you Freddy!

My disappointment has been lifted!

Obviously I confused the two; when the guy emailed me about the cabs all I was focused on was the Karlson and the "15" parts.

Good thing lethal voltages weren't involved.

Marshall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.