Stax headphone repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems like the one and only repair center for Stax headphones in the USA (Accutech) is either out of business or has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I've been trying to call them, email them, and even fax them for at least the past 2 months without a single response. It's a shame that a product of such quality can't be repaired, but that seems to be the case. Even Stax of Japan, whom I tried to contact, does not respond. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to get repair on a set of SR Lambda's.

I think the 5 pin connectors are very difficult to source. So, I decided to make them myself. :)

DSC_0140.jpg

The socket can be bought here.

Thankyou Wachara,

I ordered these:

70144660 86-71-6S $6.39 $6.39

connector, commercial plug, miniature, molded in contacts, black phenolic, 6 contact

70144652 78-S6S $5.24 $10.48

Socket, Relay; tube/relay, ring mounting, solder eyelets, miniature, 6 contact

So both plug and socket :)

Unfortuantlely the shipping to Germany was rediculous, (and worse not told in advance!) so will order from Farnell who also stock these in future.

Regards

Owen

Thankyou Wachara,

I ordered these:
70144660 86-71-6S $6.39 $6.39
connector, commercial plug, miniature, molded in contacts, black phenolic, 6 contact
70144652 78-S6S $5.24 $10.48
Socket, Relay; tube/relay, ring mounting, solder eyelets, miniature, 6 contact

I stumbled across this post while looking to order another "Stax Style" plug.

I just got a "harman kardon citation eleven" to restore from a well known auction web site, it looks like its incredibly well made, but with capacitors that old I will need to replace them all.

The "Power Amplifier Input" socket is the same socket as a Stax socket and the "86-71-6S" fits perfectly, sadly my preamp has the screws missing from the speaker binding points.

I agree with what I read that it would be unwise to use more than 60/100W through the plug and switch though.

Attachments

• _MG_5569_1.jpg
    _MG_5569_1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 256
Many people, over the last 5 years or so, have manufactured short runs of Stax sockets with gold plated pin sockets (from an octal tube socket) in solid PTFE. I am under the impression that the CNC data for them is floating around the internet somewhere. I have four of them myself waiting to go into some eXstata amplifiers.

But what i'm saying is, check head-fi, headcase, etc, and see if anyone is making any. They're way better than the cooper/wpi socket.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.