• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE and which speaker cables NOT to use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently moved and needed to run some long speaker cables from one end of the first floor to the other. I prefer to err on the side of overkill and was comparing the costs of various wire at home depot. For something on the heavier side (14-12awg), I found that low voltage landscaping wire to be the best bang for the buck. Cheaper than the equivalent bulk power cord, probably because it doesn't need to be certified for line voltage use and so forth.

He also argues in favor of using thin solid core copper, it seemed to work very well in my system until i changed over to a solid state Naim amp. It reduced the bass impact of that amp but the runs were about 9 meters at the time so resistance was quite high.
High resistance in speaker cable will restrict power output from any amp when speakers demand it. In order to run a proper comparison, it has to have quick switching capability and double blind. If not, the comparison is meaningless.

This thin speaker cable trend was talked about on some audiophool forum (no longer around) 13 years ago. None of the proponents of it could answer anything technical on why and how such high resistance in speaker cable can help. All they did was say things like "just try it" or "double blind test doesn't mean everything" without ever having done a double blind test themselves. :rolleyes:

I recently moved and needed to run some long speaker cables from one end of the first floor to the other. I prefer to err on the side of overkill and was comparing the costs of various wire at home depot. For something on the heavier side (14-12awg), I found that low voltage landscaping wire to be the best bang for the buck. Cheaper than the equivalent bulk power cord, probably because it doesn't need to be certified for line voltage use and so forth.

Hell Russ, now you've thrown a large spanner in the works! Landscaping wire !!! #*??, Man, this would make the boutique speaker wire crowd vomit.
Many years ago I got some 40 cents per foot 14awg regular speaker wire for my system, I've been enjoying my music with these ever since.

It seems like I opened a festering wound and I am beginning to wish I hadn't.

My purpose was to get an idea of what types of cable, if any could cause oscillations a potentially damage my SSE.

But, the take about things fancy and expensive reminds me of my membership in an audiophile club in Scottsdale some years ago:

I remember a rep from Ayre came and demoed equipment. The amp sounded amazing coupled with massive Wilson speakers. Then the cable swapping started. Personally, I could not hear any differences. Then the rep produced some little wooden blocks from his pocket, told us they were a brand new innovation and amazed the audience even more.

Now, was he peddling snake-oil? I don't know, but I do remember being amazed at the sound from the amp and speaker combo even though I'd never be able to afford them. As for the rest, maybe others heard something, my ears suffer from lifelong tinnitus and my playing of the bagpipes (thank goodness for custom 15db ear protectors).

Personally, my audio system is evolving and changes/upgrades in my system are mainly at the component level. My amps are good: I can hear that complex music such as rock and orchestra will likely be better on my SS AKSA, but the "smaller" stuff is way better on my SSE (played a CD by the Scottish group Breabach the other day on the SSE - wow, and vinyl Coltrane sounds stunning too).

Just ordered Marksudio 10p drivers yesterday to make some Pensils according to Mark's recommendations, I suspect that the effect of these with the SSE will be synergistic.

As for hifi, there's no way I can quantify objectively what goes in or what comes out of my system as far as audio waves are concerned. Personally I don't care as long as I engage emotionally with the music - totally selfish, but my audio system is mine after all.

I honestly appreciate the suggestions made by all contributors to this thread and will experiment with all the cheaper options from heavy to light gauge and maybe I'll not hear any differences at all.

Thanks,
Charlie

It seems like I opened a festering wound and I am beginning to wish I hadn't.
Don't worry, that actually helped to reveal who believes what on this forum.
I remember a rep from Ayre came and demoed equipment. The amp sounded amazing coupled with massive Wilson speakers. Then the cable swapping started. Personally, I could not hear any differences. Then the rep produced some little wooden blocks from his pocket, told us they were a brand new innovation and amazed the audience even more.

Now, was he peddling snake-oil?
He was just doing his job as a rep for the company that sells audio stuff. More sales the better for them and he gets paid to promote that.

I don't know, but I do remember being amazed at the sound from the amp and speaker combo even though I'd never be able to afford them.
Speakers and room acoustics quality is where the real game is in audio electronics. By the way, this DIY audio thing is to enable those with inclinations to be able to obtain high quality speakers at lower cost so you are in the right place.
As for the rest, maybe others heard something,
Don't forget, there is a strangely powerful force that's present when doing such marketing demo, it's called The Power of Suggestion.
As for hifi, there's no way I can quantify objectively what goes in or what comes out of my system as far as audio waves are concerned.
It's easy to do if you have access to measuring devices. If not, don't worry, especially the cables. Others have done it and posted plenty of tips online, Roger Russell (page 1 of this thread) being one of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.