SS Revelator 32W vs AE 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a happy SS user. I wouldn't bother with the AE :).

Of course my goals are different,; I'm interested in high quality bass optimized for 2-channel music with attractive small footprint enclosures suitable for a family room where I don't want speakers to completely dominate the room or my wife would never let them in. I have other subs in movie rooms for that task.

Last edited:
Hi,

After the great succes of my last project and the commercial interest for selling them. I thought I should design an ultimate reference system to dream off using the same philosophy to keep myself busy and just for fun. It will be a 4-way system plus subwoofer towers. The subwoofer towers will consist of eight woofers per tower mounted on the sides, in opposite directions to eliminate vibrations. The question is, what would be the ultimate woofer? The Scan-Speak Revelator 32W T00 or T01, or the one of the 15" Acoustic Elegance woofers?

Would like to hear your thoughts

This is a very open design brief. It's pretty easy to design a really good three-way to extend (effortlessly) down to 40Hz or so, so I'm guessing you want these towers for 2 octaves (10-40Hz). And for that sort of stuff, assuming you want at least 120dB at about half power, your looking at displacement and power handling.

Or are you going a different path?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pro woofers don't like going that low. I'm talking about a high-end application here. I expect these woofer towers to hit like 15 Hz or lower. PA woofers won't do that. And i just looked up some measurments of a 21" B&C and the SS had a lot lower distortion. Pro woofers are quicker but because of the huge number of woofers and their huge total Sd they already are gonna be as fast as can be. Ya'll can't stop bragging on about PA drivers. Please explain to me why they should be better fr this application.

Some pro woofers can go quite low. With high efficiency and big power handling will wipe the floor with your hifi woofers. Not bragging, don't care what you use.

Fs 28Hz, sensitivity 97dB, power handling 2k watts
https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=201070155

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.