• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Squeezebox Touch PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So do I :( and the third goes to a board from the next batch...

Regards

To bad the Rcores were sold out in the last GB so I got the boards and have been looking for the Rcores since then. So JP - give me at least 2 of them and I'll try to compete for the last one in the coming GB as a 100 boards shouldn't be a problem to get buyers for with or without Rcores.

Regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have no way to directly compare to an R-core version, but the Triad version is fine. Those of us "lesser" citizens shouldn't feel too bad. :)

Hah ! Now you know how it feels :) I like the Triad too as with that one there is less power dissipated in heat (managed to have green devices in the US, yay) but the Rcore transformer is better with regards to stray field and noise. Of all the ones I have used myself there was not a single one humming or vibrating under 3A load. 5V AC would have worked out too but those are not produced AFAIK.

To bad the Rcores were sold out in the last GB so I got the boards and have been looking for the Rcores since then. So JP - give me at least 2 of them and I'll try to compete for the last one in the coming GB as a 100 boards shouldn't be a problem to get buyers for with or without Rcores.

Regards

OK that is convincing somewhat/a little :D We will work this out per PM OK ?

I still have two boards without Trafos))

OK you will get 1 too. It is my habit to make the same mistake twice :)

* It seem fair to limit the number to 1 per buyer so that others can enjoy a board + transformer. Opinions ?

Last edited:
Well I finally got time to do some testing, I have two Squeezebox Touch's so I sync'd them & ran them thru the Receiver I have. The leads etc where all the same the only difference was the power supplies.

I cornered the son while he was over for dinner, the consensus was that the linear supply was slightly better although there wasn't much in it. The switching wasn't ideal as there was a delay between one and the other.

I have a DIY switching unit that switches instantly, I will eventually set it up with my main system & give it another go. If the components you are testing are close in SQ I don't believe there is anyway you can really tell unless you can switch instantly and ideally blindly which can be arranged with the setup I have. It has been very useful & revealing over the years, although I always struggle to getting around to doing the testing. :)

Sometimes I dont want to know the answer :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jean-paul do you still have 1 ready built board for sale a maybe one trafo, what are the coast.

Yeah, please send me a PM.

I cornered the son while he was over for dinner, the consensus was that the linear supply was slightly better although there wasn't much in it. The switching wasn't ideal as there was a delay between one and the other.

It is hard to compare power supplies on a SB Touch, even more so when one only has one SB Touch in possession. Still you found out, despite delay, that the linear PSU performs better. It would have been truly astounding if you had experienced the famous "night and day" phenomenon but I guess that won't happen when comparing DC power supplies ;) Audible differences will depend on mains voltage quality and RF sources nearby (in case ears don't notice a difference test equipment will).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I have the R-core transformers but shipping to Australia will be more expensive than the transformer themselves.

BTW there are ready built SBT PSU's in stock. These are only sold in combination with the R-core transformer. So just the soldered PCB and a transformer, no case , no wiring etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
*News for Canadian/USA builders: I have found an affordable way to send Rcore transformers to you. Shipping is 10 Euro for 1 piece but also 2 depending on how I pack them. Best would be to make it a group order and send many of them in a box. So if any of you guys want one please send me a PM. Transformer price is 17,50 Euro/piece

BTW same counts for builders in Europe: let me know if you want one. Plan was to do a second batch of PCBs but I think demand is not enough (might be wrong though). I have at least 30 Rcores left.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.