• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

splitter/driver stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just about to implement this LTP in an OTL design I'm creating.

I will try using a small pentode with high Rp as the tail resistor to get the 2 outputs as balanced as possible. Another option I know is a good neg voltage regulator as a CCS.

In my case for an OTL I need perfectly balanced inverted outputs.

phase splitters

So are u saying b/c guitaramps use it, u shouldn't for HiFi? A LTP phase splitter works fine.

no just that most reading i've done about LTP has been to do with guitar amps and they do seem to have narrower band width and muso's seem to like that grungier sound i think that's what put me off but leak used them also they appear technically better than the common see saw so righto i'll go with the LTP.

For a number of good reasons, only 2 topologies are in vogue for HIFI splitter duty: the LTP and the "concertina". Given its "unity" gain, "concertina" topology presents problems in driving powerful tubes, like the KT88. Williamson style circuitry, with its differential gain block following the "concertina", deals with the issue. However, controlling instability in Williamson style circuitry can be quite tricky and expensive.

Dig into the archives for Mullard style circuitry, as (IMO) that will give you maximum opportunity for success.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.