splice / extend antenna cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a '99 Montero that has a power antenna. The motor does not function so the antenna does not extend, and I get poor reception.
The remote lead is intact. I've even tried to short the antenna directly to a 12v source and it doesn't respond. I haven't located any fuses that are specifically for the antenna, and I have no other electrical issues.
I want to replace it with a conventional antenna. My only issue is the cable. If it's feasible I'd like to just cut that cable and splice a new one on.

What's an antenna cable consist of? I'm guessing similar to an rca/interconnect? Are they super delicate? A pain to solder?
Would a semi-competent hack job effect reception?

I've considered tying a string of some kind to the cable near the hu and trying to pull it out. Then tie the string to the new cable and pull it back through, but it seems to me that would be a lot easier said than done.

What you're wanting to do is pretty typical since old power antennas fail eventually.

The hardest part is not really replacing (or cutting and splicing) the antenna cable, but getting the new antenna's cable through the body and mounting the new antenna.

The cable has a 2-conductor design one of which is usually a metal ground shield braid. The head unit end usually has a "Motorola" antenna connector (somewhat resembles RCA but different).

I repair & solder them when necessary. Just patching isn't as reliable but you can get decent "splicing connectors". I think Radio Shack used to sell them.

You need to remove the factory stereo, remove the antenna, and pull out the cable, but do so along with a wire which will be a wire pull for the new antenna.

Easier said than done! Sometimes it's quite a b1tch to do it. :headbash:

MartyM said:
The hardest part is not really replacing (or cutting and splicing) the antenna cable, but getting the new antenna's cable through the body and mounting the new antenna.

You need to remove the factory stereo, remove the antenna, and pull out the cable, but do so along with a wire which will be a wire pull for the new antenna.

Easier said than done! Sometimes it's quite a b1tch to do it. :headbash:

So that is the way to go about it huh -- definitely looks like it could be a PITA. It should eliminate the need to cut/solder the cable though, which is a plus.
At least the antenna is near the firewall so I don't have to thread it clear to the back of the car or something. It seems the biggest problem would be if the "wire pull" came loose from the antenna cable either during removal or installation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.