SPL meter - wall mount for managing DJs

DON'T BUY THE CHEAP ONE.
Did that mistake myself, fooled by the good reviews. But quickly realized it's completely worthless as it's showing the wrong value by about 10-15db and it's updated way too frequently so the reading bounc
es up and down constantly.

Weird that there isn't a cheaper option available.

Why not just set the max level of the system such that DJs simply cant go beyond that level? Or is there an actual requirement to be able to monitor and log the level over the course of the night? If not then just set, forget, and don't worry about a sound meter.

It is way better for a DJ to know they are simply maxed out on the system, rather than being able to go way louder but then repeatedly being told to turn it down. That model just sucks and annoys everyone.

There are situations where headroom is just a liability. DJs are just going to keep it inching the levels up until the system sounds aggressive. If you’re having to “manage levels” the system is simply too large. What works in those situations when I don’t want to blow stuff is to use enough SPEAKER to handle the maxed out average level, and back off on the amplifiers. Run them at 8 ohms only so they’ll tolerate continuous clipping, and with no more power than the drivers can physically handle indefinitely. Then if you want it clean there’s no other way than to turn it down, and with it as aggressive as you want it everything is within design limits. You’ll want that situation to be right at the dB limits.

If you run a large system with effective limiters to get the same max SPL reading that doesn’t violate whatever policy, it will never sound loud enough. It will be “too clean”. More costly, too.

I don't see how an SPL meter would make any difference to how a DJ plays, they ignore all the red lights on thier console so why would a few more change that. I also see the creeping levels thing with DJs all the time, my systems all have some pretty good limiters and the DJs abuse them but the speakers survive to fight another day which is as good as it gets most nights. I don't know if there is any way to keep DJs from redlining a system... maybe if you take away all thier control and leave them with nothing but a cross fader you may have some luck, but I don't know how well that would fly. As stated above the system must have enough protection built-in that they can't damage it no matter what they do.

Reactions: 1 users
There are ways to stop a DJ reading lining the system. On the more expensive pioneer mixers you can turn down an internal gain which they dont see, so 2 red on the master effectively becomes -6db, or whatever you choose to reduce it by. This does work well, and you can lock the setting.

I also believe the very latest one can be controlled remotely so you can even turn things down without them knowing what you are doing.

There is a product called Red Alert by RC systems which monitors the output of the mixer and if it exceeds a threshold it flashes a red light and turns the DJ monitors off if they dont sort it out within a short period. I think its expensive but am actually thinking of getting it because Im so sick of constantly going on stage and moaning at ranker DJs repeatedly smashing reds on my system. I know they are because I can see the levels on my mixers phone app. ffs.

But, one thing that you cant sort yet, is the DJ red lining the input line gain. This is my pet hate and is just awful DJing. Red lining that and / or boosting the EQ can result in truly awful clipping. The kind of clipping which perks your ears up and panicing over thinking you've fried a driver.

Reactions: 2 users
And slamming the line inputs to clip, then adding bass and treble boost on top of that doesnt even make it sound louder. Just bad, when the amplification after it is clean. It sounds like a blown driver alright. Then again, it’s kind of fun to do for effect on a rap record, where it sounds badly overloaded no matter what you play it back on. Making fun of the idiots who do this at a show.

Reactions: 1 user