Spitfire Mk9 model made for me by my son

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi guys, i thought i would share, what i think is a wonderfull model my son made for me

I used to make lots for him when he was a young boy, so he said he wanted to return the favour by making me one.

He does commisions so he is way better than i ever was, and i think you will agree, its pretty good as he works off the original design plans from supermarine and adds all of the wiring and pipework etc that doesnt come with the standard kit-he also replaces some items with more acurate after market parts :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_080753.jpg
    IMG_20230802_080753.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20230802_080845.jpg
    IMG_20230802_080845.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20230802_080854.jpg
    IMG_20230802_080854.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20230802_080956.jpg
    IMG_20230802_080956.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20230802_081014.jpg
    IMG_20230802_081014.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: 25 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Really nice work congrats to your son. Good cockpit detail, seat straps are really good. Wear and tear, dirt are nicely restrained. Excellent work. Curious about which kit it's based on. I'm guessing 1/48 maybe 1/32 but without a frame of reference hard to say. It's a terrific present from son to dad.

I still have one or two small kits I built when I was a teen, but the rest ended up being thrown away much against my will :(

Excellent detailing!

I'm only a kit-basher myself and am happy to build straight out of the box with few embellishments.

Perhaps it's time I dug out my 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfire MK Vb kit and super detailed its Merlin engine - or should I simply cop out and fit my Airfix electric motor to spin the prop?

P.S. My son also outshines me when it comes to model making skills. I'm so glad I introduced him to the hobby at an early age.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
no time for it though these days
Yes, I had to make similar decisions about where my time went. Restarting my model making was the casualty. It was a shame, the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito looked so inviting...

Its the new airfix mk9 1/24 kit
Super looking kit. It's interesting how, as the kits and after market parts and decals have improved, the emphasis has shifted more and more to presentation, the shading, wear, and overall paint job. In my day you could get by without an airbrush, not any more...

I see vacform and resin are still going strong.

What a beautiful piece of work, stunning detailing. I had the Airfix Mosquito back in the day, which my dad made with me. Not quite to the same standard as this Spitfire, of course.
Absolutely stunning.

EDIT: It was the Typhoon I made years ago, not the Mosquito

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Oh my giddy aunt, that is incredible. Does your son do this professionally? You mentioned about him doing commissions....
Nope he's a manager in B and Q, but he does spend alit of time in the garage. He does do builds for people, planes, tanks and ships.this is a Lancaster nose section he has just finished

Attachments

• IMG-20230802-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20230802-WA0018.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
very nice work. I was the kid who always ended up with glue fingerprints on the canopy.

My eldest is very artistic but went the fantasy modelling direction. Amazing what you can do with green stuff and some imagination. I have a sea venom kit I meant to make with them and never got around to. maybe its time now...

That Airfix kit is miles and miles ahead of its previous 1/24 Spitfire offerings; the detail and accuracy is just superb. Airfix' 1/24 Mossie and Typhoon are also excellent. Unfortunately I don't have the shelf space for any of them!

I hope they do a Mark VIII version, it's probably the most beautiful Spit, with its pointed rudder and retractable tail wheel.

Geoff

Joined 2019
Paid Member
miles ahead of its previous 1/24 Spitfire offerings; the detail and accuracy is just superb
They are incredible. Also the quality of the moulding has improved no end. My memories of the original Mk1 1/24 kit was that the fit left a lot to be desired and meant extensive use of filler.

The other thing that's improved in leaps and bounds is the rendering of panel lines and riveting. Much closer to scale. On 1/72 I always used to sand it or fill it. These days you can get tools to help put scale lines and rivet marks if the model's are pants.

Of course you can have the best quality kit in the world and still make a pig's breakfast out of it.

OT somewhat. Anyone remember Gerald Wingrove? Mostly cars, mostly at 1/20. The paint finish was just incredible and the cars largely built from scratch. I used to see features on him in Scale Models and it was depressing...

Reactions: 1 user