• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
panomaniac said:

Ha! Yes! That gave me a laugh. :D I spent several decades as a theater tech, lighting mostly. My father did too, and I learned from him. It has always amazed us how little electricians know about electricity. I was always surprised and pleased to find one who did know his stuff. But I mostly spent my time rewiring bad electrical installations. They don't call those guys "sparky" for nothing.
It's good to know that Ireland is no exception.

And pity the poor fellows who are the "Electricians" in major hotels. Ask for a heavy electrical connection in a hotel ballroom- then stand back and be amazed. It will take hours when it should take minutes, and it's sure to be done wrong. To be fair, most of these guys are just general maintenance, but they are the only ones authorized to tie into the system. Sparks and cuss words a-plenty are guaranteed.

This rings a bell too.

I recall in my roadie days, occasionally one would have the misfortune of having to set up on some municipal premises. This meant that some twerp from the "Caansil" had to be in charge and would want to go around earthing everything - presumably to ensure that there were plenty of earth loops. Grrrrrr.

Loads of arguments in trying to explain to this "jobsworth" how sound systems work and also that no, we didn't want to electrocute the band either.

In fact this is almost the exact opposite of what some of us have been complaining about, but another indication of the disease!

7N7

panomaniac said:

Ha! Yes! That gave me a laugh. :D I spent several decades as a theater tech, lighting mostly. My father did too, and I learned from him. It has always amazed us how little electricians know about electricity. I was always surprised and pleased to find one who did know his stuff. But I mostly spent my time rewiring bad electrical installations. They don't call those guys "sparky" for nothing.
It's good to know that Ireland is no exception.

And pity the poor fellows who are the "Electricians" in major hotels. Ask for a heavy electrical connection in a hotel ballroom- then stand back and be amazed. It will take hours when it should take minutes, and it's sure to be done wrong. To be fair, most of these guys are just general maintenance, but they are the only ones authorized to tie into the system. Sparks and cuss words a-plenty are guaranteed.

Then you would understand a theatre lighting patch system, a couple of years ago I got 240 across my hand because some genius of an electrician wired two cct's in parallel (at the stage end). Think about what happens when you plug one of them in... The guy who did it couldn't see the problem.

I've just finished programming lighting for all the main public areas of a large hotel here. I noticed that the 3ph outlet in the ballroom (63A) can't actually have anything plugged into it because of the way it sits behind it's little trapdoor. As it stands it is utterly useless, and it's the only one in the room. Having said that I've worked in hotels in London that had 800A of 3ph temporary power available

ray moth: I know, old house wiring in Australia is horrendous, and that old insulation is rubber. You can imagine what a good Australian summer or 60 does to it. The scene has got an enormous amount better in the last 20 years though, particularly in the non-domestic world. Portable appliance safety has skyrocketed in the last few years also, and that's starting to leak over into what people are doing in their garages.

I can guarantee that the safety practices I saw in pro theatre here would get you shut down in a week in Australia. Australians are for some reason very paranoid about electrical safety these days, it's probably got something to do with the experiences of 50 years ago.:hot: The training I had to do here, to get onto construction sites, spent a long time dismissing myths that said how you would survive bad electrical shocks by doing this that and the other (mostly the equivalent of hopping on one foot whilst touching your nose). I'd never heard of most of them but apparently a lot of Irish believe in them.

Having just had a go at the Irish, when the electricians here want to do good work, they do excellent work. I just wish they understood what was happening underneath the insulation, but that's not specific to Ireland.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The greengrocer's apostrophe...

panomaniac said:
My goodness, we have thoroughly hijacked this thread, haven't we?

Ah, but fortunately, most of the diatribes were correctly spelled. One exception, though (and I won't name names):

It's = it is
Its = possessive

Yes, I know possessives generally use apostrophes and have forms such as; "The council's waste." or "The husband's car," but we have "hers" and "its" and "theirs."

Oh, and could I rail against the apostrophe finding its way into plurals? Or, as some would say, "the apostrophe finding it's way into plural's?"

Re: The greengrocer's apostrophe...

EC8010 said:

Ah, but fortunately, most of the diatribes were correctly spelled. One exception, though (and I won't name names):

It's = it is
Its = possessive

Yes, I know possessives generally use apostrophes and have forms such as; "The council's waste." or "The husband's car," but we have "hers" and "its" and "theirs."

Aah, that would be me, I'd guess. I've struggled with that since primary school and it still slips through occasionally, my wife tells me off for it, too, you'd reckon I'd get it. Mea culpa.

ray_moth said:

The house wiiring was appalling, with single-stranded wire of about 18 gauge and insulation made of some sort of hard black rubber that crumbled if it got bent.

Yes, now you see Ray,

That is because those guys did not read proper internet forums like that on Cable on DIY Forums and the like. Van den Hul and Audio Quest would have ... Yes, OK, sorry! OUCH!! Stop! - I didn't mean.. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I make the it's/its mistake, too and my wife takes me to task for it. It's mostly a typo, really - its origin in my case.

But my dear wife can't seem to use lay/lie properly, as is the case with so many Americans. So I get to chide her about that silly mistake.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
panomaniac said:
I make the it's/its mistake, too and my wife takes me to task for it. It's mostly a typo, really - its origin in my case.

But my dear wife can't seem to use lay/lie properly, as is the case with so many Americans. So I get to chide her about that silly mistake.

Me too. Strangely enough, none of my grammar/spell-check programs pick up on it.
Consequently, I blame Microsoft.

Cheers,
Glen

panomaniac said:
But my dear wife can't seem to use lay/lie properly, as is the case with so many Americans.
This one may be universal. I guess that it's common enough to be a problem but obscure enough not to get the attention it needs.

G.Kleinschmidt said:
Strangely enough, none of my grammar/spell-check programs pick up on it.
The default install is US English so unless you install it yourself....

you may find yourself thinking of sleep when you put tyres on your car :D

ray_moth said:
Then there's 'due to' and 'owing to'; according to my English teacher at school,

due to = caused by
owing to = beacause of.

For example, "The train was late owing to a points failure," or "The late arrival of the train was due to a points failure."

Yes, but equally:

Last month's rent is owing
Next month's rent is due.

I remember a shocker I saw once in a pub:

"No £50 notes accepted due to forgeries"

7N7

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
G.Kleinschmidt said:
Consequently, I blame Microsoft.

Sounds good to me. Seriously, even when told about UK English, M$ Word keeps on offering apostrophes when faced with the plural of a word it hasn't seen before. I think the whole apostrophe fiasco can be laid firmly at their door.

And as for the, "This page intentionally left blank," that makes me want to scream.

anatech said:
Hi EC8010,

I wonder what that page is for. They seem to part part of every service manual I own. They may as well write "Kilroy was here"!

-Chris

I used to run a manual writing and publishing service for a big corp.

We had a rule that all new chapters should start on a facing (right-hand) page. Not so wild really.

On those ocasions where chapter n-1 ended on a facing page it was necessary to insert a blank left hand page ....

Then we got the calls .... " Page "y" is blank, can I have another copy..."

How to win? :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.