Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

Hi

I like this tread, I learn a lot of thinks.

If you are looking for a speaker, listen differents sytems : large range, old stuff, like ALTEC 604, model 19, TANNOY, electrostatic, ribbon, conventionnal speaker etc...
What is good for your ears can be bad for other ears.

If I would have to make a simple system, I would try old stuff, like ALTEC 604, 420, or TANNOY.

For a more sophisticated system, I would try a 12" with a 1.5" compression driver or a ribbon.

I would not buy a conventionnal speaker.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
though , choice is much broader if by Pass amps we include both FW and PL products

say - PL SR1 spks ........ one of most rewarding spks I ever heard ........

3 to 5.5 Ohms impedance and whoopin' 86dB @ 2.83V @1m (which is more than 1W , so that's cheatin' :rofl: ) ......

I could dare to feed them with XA30.x

Regular 25 watts F5 give 40 watts on 4 Ohm load.
All without other modifications like biger toroid VA psu ratio , higher secondary voltage etc.

What happen if 16 Ohm impedance speakers is used ?

:)
Can't comment on that since my 604's are 8 ohms. conversely though my magneplanar's are somewhere around 5 ohms and sound quite nice on the F5 most would argue that the F5 is way too little power for Maggies nonetheless it plays plenty loud without strain. 16 ohm speakers seem to be more practical with tubes, just my opinion though.

My speakers are only 91db 4ohm and they can get very loud and have deep bass too. I had them finished in auto paint, the same color as my car in the left of the picture.

Attachments

• mtm2.jpg
    mtm2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 770
Lots of efficient speakers you guys have...

I run KEF r700 (89db, 3.2 ohm min) with a dual pair mosfet f5 (24v rails) and it's fine up to sane volume levels (90db at listening seat). If you listen at 85 db (probably average for most people) it's only putting out 4 watts.

So, for those of us who listen at sane levels you don't have to have efficient speakers.

I've listened to the same amp with a more efficient single driver speaker as well. It was more efficient but it didn't like to go loud so it was kind of counterproductive.

My point is don't limit yourself to really efficient speakers with these amps. If you have the current, wattage is not the main problem.

Can't comment on that since my 604's are 8 ohms. conversely though my magneplanar's are somewhere around 5 ohms and sound quite nice on the F5 most would argue that the F5 is way too little power for Maggies nonetheless it plays plenty loud without strain. 16 ohm speakers seem to be more practical with tubes, just my opinion though.

I`ve tried maggies 1.6 with my F5, and it did not sound good. Dynamics gone and collapse in soundstage. (F5 - 23Vdc rails). 1.6 must have more watts.
These diy speakers are very good with my F5: Impulse H6 - et forsøk på en clone.

I have try a lot of cabinet with a pair of FOSTEX fx120, just for fun (open baffle / BR / double BR / and back horn with a little box just behind the speaker).

The back horn was the better, for the bass and even for the mid, because the litle box behind the speaker don't color the music as a traditionnal BR.

But the ALTEC are in an other league.