Speakers need warm up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Easy to get caught up in, not to worry. I find myself doing the same thing in certain threads. This one is different though, I hope not to go down that path here.

I have been playing this game for a long time but it wasn't until that particular driver that it became so prevalent. Now I can notice it in many of my speakers, just to a lesser degree.

So do you think a pre-heated voicecoil would help with the warm up period for speaker drivers ?
Why not a 'crossover oven' with optimized thermal settings that would keep the crossover components at a constant temperature and thus a consistent sound quality throughout the year ?
Just opening up some marketing ideas to be directed to lunatic audiophiles that deserve such nonsense.

C.M

if we are going to be serious about this...

as copper heats up the resistance goes up. this will change booth the impedance of the transducer and how the crossover its connected to behaves.

so assuming for a moment there is a significant change in temperature of the transducers coil, lets say in the order of 10 degrees c or more, then, there is a true effect. what the effect is is greatly dependent on what the circuit looks like its connected to and how the resistance change effects its response curve.

if the temperature is then transferred to the magnetic core, the resulting temperature increase also effects the the magnetic flux density of the magnet. this therefor will decrease the efficiency of a transducer as the temperature of the magnet increases.

therefor, yes, a transducers net response can change when the temperature of the coil and the magnet increases.

likewise is true for the components in a crossover, but to a lesser extent as typically the resistance and capacitive comments are relatively temperature stable, the copper in the coils though will change resistance with temperature.

also since the wire leading to the speaker is seen electrically as a resistor, and current is pulled though the wire the wire heats up and increases the resistance. this will also effect overall impedance and the phase angle of the impedance seen by the amplifier at any given frequency, so you will be at the mercy of how that impedance change is handled by the amplifier..

the problem here is that none of the current flows are constant in an audio system and therefor the temperatures are not stable. response curve changes would be dynamic not static unless the items are externally heated or cooled to make the temperature's stable and therefore the impedances and flux densities consistent.

temperature stabilization is used in very sensitive electronics... crystal ovens for example, and I've seen it used in optical systems also.

hope that gives you food for thought.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Okay guys. What I was suggesting was a way to see if it was the speaker or your ears/brain that was changing. If the first thing you hear is a while into operation, if it is the speaker that is changing, it is hopefully done by the time you return, and successive plays will sound the same.
If it is your brain/ears you will notice the same change as going into however long from cold.

It's not well-controlled, but we may get a clue about one particular speaker/listener set.

Okay guys. What I was suggesting was a way to see if it was the speaker or your ears/brain that was changing. If the first thing you hear is a while into operation, if it is the speaker that is changing, it is hopefully done by the time you return, and successive plays will sound the same.
If it is your brain/ears you will notice the same change as going into however long from cold.

It's not well-controlled, but we may get a clue about one particular speaker/listener set.

I'm totally with you on that. since your brain is compensating at the same time things are warming up, you, as a human, probably cant tell the difference between that, an a real change.

the only way to really detect any change would be to do some real measurements testing the resultant effect. frankly, you cant trust your own ears.

Perhaps it's the density of the air contained in the cabinet that affects the output. Drivers vibrating air molecules surely cause some warming. Warm air is less dense than cold air and is known to attenuate higher frequencies.

true, but, as was pointed out earlier, we are talking about the transducers, I think including the air as a factor is a bit out of scope.

however, id believe that's summing within your control keeping the temperature and humidity constant.

you do bring up a good point. any tests should take into account the current temperature, humidly and barometric pressure to insure the test results are comparable. any changes in those between tests can skew the results

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.