Speakers for Audiolab 8000a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am just starting to dabble in the high end audio market and have recently purchased a second hand Audiolab 8000a. Could someone suggest what sort of floor standing speaker upgrades would be suitabe for the amp.

I don't have a huge budget, so I may be looking to buy second hand for now. If anyone has any ideas for old or new speakers I would appreciate your input.

Also a rough guide to buying speaker cable and interconnects would be helpful to me.

Many thanks

Dave

hi
my dad used to have an 8000a, quality amp for the price. its quite a lean sounding amp, so look for speakers that have a warm sound with a decent amount of bass to balance out the sound of the amp. maybe something from the quad range, eg 11l's or 22l's? My dad used it with a pair of mission 782's and they sounded really nice, but the audiolab never really used them to their full potential so were probably overkill for that amp.
Dont get any of the cheaper mission floorstanders- such as the m73's- they are horrible boomy things that sound harsh at even moderate listening levels.
Google "cat5 speaker cable"- computer network cable works really well for speaker cable, use a couple of runs braided together and it beats pretty much any budget speaker cable hands down.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will have a shop a about and see what I can find in what you have recommended.

What Impedance would suggest best suits the audiolab 8000a, most of the sources I have read from suggest 8 ohms, is this your understanding.

Thanks

Dave

Hi

And thanks for the responses to my questions. I will probably be looking at a second hand purchase with a budget of around £200-300.

I currently have a pair of 15-year-old JVC SX911 speakers, which cost me £600 at the time. Am I likely to notice any real difference by upgrading these speakers considering my budget? These speakers have a nice top end but the base is not very punchy.

I mainly listen to acoustic music with a lot of percussion, such as Davy Spilane and a band called Baka-Beyond. I hear you saying who!! However I also play rock music now and a gain such as AC/DC and Hendrix etc.

Also has anyone dabbled in using CAT5 networking cable for making up speaker cables. I can get miles of this stuff from work. If anyone has tried it I would be interested to hear.

Once again thanks for your input

Dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hey Dave, I think I've mixed both of them at one or another of the festivals. :)

To match that amp, and for your taste in music, I'd look for an old pair of Tannoys. With your budget, you should be able to get a pair of Cheviots or Devons, or with a bit more money, a set of Lancasters.

Speakers I've heard and liked in a marantz/audiolab setup;

Epos ES11 - coherant and classy, not the last word in bass depth tho..

Mission 752 - fast and transparent; maybe a bit lean for some

Musical Fidelity MC4 - everything sounds good on these, even bad recordings. Maybe a bit too nice, and tubby down below...

Any of these should cost 250 pounds or less used and would beat any new 500 pounders.:)

Kef reference ones would be a lot of speaker for the cash if you could get for 300-350.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
dw887 said:
Or should I change my tastes in music ;)

If you get out to any of the festivals this year, keep an eye out for Whapweasel. They usually do the dance tents, and playa really nice mix of folk, with ska, reggae, Eastern European, and jazz/klezmer influences all thrown in.

As you don't like Tannoys, (Heathen! :)), then I'll second the MC4s, very good on accoustic music, they'll even cope with Spillane's over indulgenent reverb.

Hi Pinkmouse

I will keep an eye out for Whapweasel, always on the look out for something new. I played in a folk rock band a few years ago, we did a couple of festivals ourselves, children and a mortgage put a stop to all of that though! such is life. Whats your genre? What kind of set up do you have?

As you don't like Tannoys, (Heathen! ), sorry :) . I think I will have a look on ebay to see if i can pick up some MC4's without burning a whole in my wallet.

cheers

Dave

Audiolab 8000A was my first real audiophile amp some years back, which I sold then but have recently scored another one on Ebay. I've used numerous hi-end amps since then so it will be good to see how far I may have progressed/digressed. Hope to play with Proac 2.5 DIY clones. Years ago I had success with Wharfedale E90s (WMTMW), Spendor Preludes and Kef 104 (old vintage). When I get the ebay Audiolab again I'll report back here in a week or so. I don't think it will be too dissappointing from what I remember of the 8000A - clean sounding but very deep bass, great imaging and spatial coherence, refined treble. Did not seem to do too well on 4 ohm load speakers like Duntech PCL25(?) so perhaps be careful there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.