Speakers, Ebay, And, The Pursuit Of Winning The Auction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All :)

I noticed someone auctioning a pair of JBL Hartsfield Speakers for
900 (No Reserve)

Now, considering these speakers were made 19 decades ago, wouldn't it be wise to build this cabinet, get the crossover, horn, and, woofer on Ebay, which would cost you cheaper than getting in a bid war with somebody and end up paying more
than you bargained for? I mean, are these speakers really
worth it?

Can someone justify why they would invest so much in a pair of used speakers, in which by the way has a starting bid of $900, which will have 9 days to go before the winning bidder is anounced?

Help Educated A Guy That Thinks $900 Should've Been The Closing Bid Instead Of The Starting Bid.

Thank You.

OMNIFEX said:
I noticed someone auctioning a pair of JBL Hartsfield Speakers for 900 (No Reserve)

Now, considering these speakers were made 19 decades ago, wouldn't it be wise to build this cabinet, get the crossover, horn, and, woofer on Ebay, which would cost you cheaper than getting in a bid war with somebody and end up paying more
than you bargained for? I mean, are these speakers really
worth it?

Isn't that simply a function of who's paying for them?
Some of the drivers are very hard to get, and expensive when available. The cabinet is a cow to build (have you seen the construction diagrams?) too. Classic Audio Repro do an excellent reproduction and it sells for high 4 figure money, simply because of the quality and cost of the drivers and the large number of hours required to build them. These were very expensive speakers when new. With a very good workshop and woodworking skills, even without paying yourself for time, you would not be able to buy the drivers xovers and timber etc for anywhere near $900, and you will not even begin to buy a new 2003 speaker with a fraction of their performance for $900. You'll be lucky to get some poxy 8" two way squeezebox. If you did duplicate some Hartsfields you won't get your money back when you resell them.

If you redesigned them using equivalent quality new drivers and flares, be sitting down when you hear the prices. Things like TAD 4001 are $US3500 a pair new, and that's just for the mid drivers.

Usually for a vintage or classic item, a complete original unit will fetch considerably more than a bitsa, and original owner/original condition items go for lots more.

Paying more than you intended to do is simply a function of your own stupidity. Set a limit, and if you lose, wait, another will eventually come along.

Can someone justify why they would invest so much in a pair of used speakers, in which by the way has a starting bid of $900, which will have 9 days to go before the winning bidder is anounced?{/B]

Performance, classic, rare.

Help Educated A Guy That Thinks $900 Should've Been The Closing Bid Instead Of The Starting Bid.

I would love a pair at $900, but unless I luck onto a dream estate sale, it ain't gonna happen. The Japanese have been into these speakers for a long time, and well healed 'philes are willing to invest the $. If I had $5 or 6 thousand to spare, I'd buy some. But I doubt that would get me into the market either, except for some CAR's perhaps. But I'd rather invest that in some Edgarhorns.

OMNIFEX said:
Yes! Edgar Horns!

Wanted by many, owned by a few.

I'm building something very similar to, and definitely inspired by the Edgarhorns. There's a recent thread on them titled Brett's horns or some such, because it was removed from another thread about Tannoys.

So your estimating $5 - $6 grand?

Nah, that's my guess on what I'd pay if I could afford them. I have 74 Khorns, so I'm close-ish now anyway.

There are another original owner (for 45 years) pair with a $10k start price.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3012665961&category=14993

I think I'm going to "Watch This Auction" I gotta see this.

I couldn't find the one's you're talking about. Could you post a link please? I'm curious now.

Thank you for your insight.

Best Regards,

A pleasure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.