Speaker Wire vs. Enameled Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick drawing would be helpful... :)

If you use permanent magnets you should build a ... what's the English word for 'Innenpolmaschine'? ... I mean, a generator where the coils in which the output voltage is induced are located in the stator, the non-moving part of the generator, while the excitation field is generated by the rotor. This is easier to construct with permanent magnets, as you don't need wiping contacts on the rotor. The permanent magnets don't need a power supply ;)

Ah,

we posted at the same time. A rotating disc for the magnets sounds like the principle I had in mind.

To the native English speakers here: Can anyone give the correct terms for these?

German 'Innenpolmaschine', see post above

German 'Außenpolmaschine' - a generator setup where the excitation field is generated in the stator while the generated voltage is taken from the rotor.

Back to topic: You cannot use the bare copper wire, as the windings will short against each other. Try your luck with the speaker wire, but anything conductive with a thinner insulation will do a much better job...

No, well this is how the water will reach the water wheel.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Archimedes_screw.JPG

The screw will be placed as high as possible above the waterwheel to get the most momentum out of it. After that the water wheel will be attached to the rotor, which will spin at the same speed, which will be placed above the stator which should generate power through the coils, but if i coil it with the speaker wire as mentioned above I need a final word to go through with it because I need to build the coils today.

The design shown in the pdf will work nicely and is easy to build. But I doubt it will work with the speaker wire.

The required 200 turns per coil will be very large with the thick insulated wire, in fact they will be so large that most of the turns will be far away from the magnetic field of the stator magnets and therefore not be contributing to the power generation. Only a turn of the coil that 'sees' the magnetic field of the permanent magnets will generate voltage/power...

Test for continuity with a DMM, if you touch the outer side of the wire with the probes. If you bought it at home depot, it will almost surely *not* be enameled but bare wire. In this case, it will *not* work due to shorting out of the windings against each other.
Besides, if it is quite thick, it is subject to the same limitations as the speaker wire, you will not get a reasonable number of turns close to the magnets.

The fastest way to get some magnet wire is to disassemble one of the following devices:

a) an old power transformer

b) a small electric motor

c) a bicycle dynamo - this will give you complete coils, depending on the design

d) anything containing an electromagnet: A classical doorbell, a relais... ?

Andreas

EDIT: If you want to buy some, almost any electronics/parts supplier will have it. Depends on your location.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.