Speaker Testing Software - which one's actually good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john k... said:
Vista will not be long lived. At the recent tech conference MS announced that they are already working on Windows & with the caveat that this time they are going to get it right.
I think they always say that when they plan to do a new release.

:D Now, if they were going to be CMM Level 5 certified, I would like to be on the review team:smash:

We use a Clio PCI and various of the LEAP products. I learned recently in migrating systems that despite Audiomatica's (tacit?) claims, Clio neither works in IBM docking stations nor does it work with USB-to-serial adapters; certainly not all of them, anyway.

No combination of notes to them have yet to solve this, so there it all stands. Given the cost and this interesting tech support the odds of our upgrading to one of their later systems are lower than they used to be.

If anyone has a work around, tips, or other ways to go to get a similar measurement suite, I hope they will be encouraged to share them...

An update on our recent Clio installation: Apparently Audiomatica swears off support for Clio systems based in IBM docking stations or running on USB-to-serial adapters, that despite their appearing to claim on their site that both are compatible.

The resident Clio PCI card initializes but the external box is quite invisible to it. (Incidentally, IBM docking stations don't have enough 12v current to run a Clio box in the first place, so an external power was called for.)

Installation attempts have failed (hardware-not-found dialogs) and Audiomatica refuses tech support. Maybe they have no idea and so it's easier to just deflect blame.

If anyone has figured out how to enable ether a docking station Clio installation or a Clio installation that works via a Microsoft-compatible USB-to-serial port adapter, please chime in. Otherwise this unit is going on the block.

Jon Lane said:
An update on our recent Clio installation: Apparently Audiomatica swears off support for Clio systems based in IBM docking stations or running on USB-to-serial adapters, that despite their appearing to claim on their site that both are compatible.

The resident Clio PCI card initializes but the external box is quite invisible to it. (Incidentally, IBM docking stations don't have enough 12v current to run a Clio box in the first place, so an external power was called for.)

Installation attempts have failed (hardware-not-found dialogs) and Audiomatica refuses tech support. Maybe they have no idea and so it's easier to just deflect blame.

If anyone has figured out how to enable ether a docking station Clio installation or a Clio installation that works via a Microsoft-compatible USB-to-serial port adapter, please chime in. Otherwise this unit is going on the block.

Hi Jon,

I used to use clio. Overall very polished, but I had some problems getting it to run on a particular system to which the audiomatica tech support folks basically said, to paraphrase, that clio may just not be compatible with some hardware configurations. They did not make much effect, however, to determine why. That was just one of the reasons I migrated over to praxis.

mark

The problem with Clio seems to lie in the external box "refusing" common serial port settings. So far I got one instance of the software to run w/o alerting a hardware-not-found, but it wouldn't calibrate. All the rest of the myriad of possible settings combinations won't let the box be seen. You spend your money; you take your chances.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I was surprised to see that nobody mentioned HOLMImpulse. This is a free package and is very very good. I use SpectraLab for some things, which is a very good general purpose analyzer, but for gated loudspeaker measurements HOLMImpulse is the best that I have found.

Good morning Gedlee,

Thank you for that post - I've been checking out the HOLMImpulse site and it looks to be an interesting peice of software. May I ask: do you use another package to extract T/S parameters?

Jim

Good morning Gedlee,

Thank you for that post - I've been checking out the HOLMImpulse site and it looks to be an interesting peice of software. May I ask: do you use another package to extract T/S parameters?

Jim

No not really - truth is I never use Thiele Small numbers. The Extreme LF region where these concepts are valid ends up having almost nothing to do with these parameters - the room always dominates the problem. When I do need some parameters like this I generally just use the ones posted at the manufacturer. But then I only deal with reputable manufacturers whose data is trustworthy. Thats probably the exception rather than the norm.

At any rate, if I did need to calculate such data, it would indeed be somewhat difficult with HOlMImpulse as it's not setup to measure impedance very well. It can't do it directly. I have suggested this capability on numerous occasions, but Ask seems to have other priorities. For impedance I use SpectraLab.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi GedLee,

Thank you for the quick reply! That's interesting that you don't really use T/S numbers. The one I'm after is Vas as I have some no-name drivers that I want to use in a system for my brother. It's just for fun and a bit of learning, so I don't expect these to be high-end in performance.

I'll check out SpectraLab. Impedance plots would be useful for sure.

Hello Jon

That's strange. I recently updated my computer and the new one didn't have a serial port:mad: I wasn't to happy when I went to hook up CLIO. So I went out and purchased a Serial to USB converter and asside from having to show the CLIO box what "port" it was it has worked just fine ever since. I am running CLIO in XP Pro. I had the exact same issue with the original serial port so the reinstallation was identicle.

I have CLIO Win 7.11 installed what version do you have?? You could always add a serial port easy enough.

Rob:)

Hi GedLee,

Thank you for the quick reply! That's interesting that you don't really use T/S numbers. The one I'm after is Vas as I have some no-name drivers that I want to use in a system for my brother. It's just for fun and a bit of learning, so I don't expect these to be high-end in performance.

I'll check out SpectraLab. Impedance plots would be useful for sure.

I think that you'll find SpectraLab a bit expensive.

If you make a small box with aseries resistor, you can get really good impedance measurements with HolmImpulse. It just takes some math to get the data nd then the TS parameters. If it weren't so widely know I describe it here, but its all pretty well know stuff.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I think that you'll find SpectraLab a bit expensive.

If you make a small box with aseries resistor, you can get really good impedance measurements with HolmImpulse. It just takes some math to get the data nd then the TS parameters. If it weren't so widely know I describe it here, but its all pretty well know stuff.

Hi GedLee,

Oh, ok I thougt SpectraLab might have been another freeware utility. I'm not too familiar with test software at the moment. That's quite alright, I've read a few tutorials on calculating T/S parameters based on impedance curves. I may be lazy and try the added mass route to find Vas, as I don't feel like making test enclosures. :p

Thanks again for the reference to HolmImpulse - I'll let you know how my project turns out.

Jim

Hi GedLee,

Oh, ok I thougt SpectraLab might have been another freeware utility. I'm not too familiar with test software at the moment. That's quite alright, I've read a few tutorials on calculating T/S parameters based on impedance curves. I may be lazy and try the added mass route to find Vas, as I don't feel like making test enclosures. :p

Thanks again for the reference to HolmImpulse - I'll let you know how my project turns out.

Jim

I think added mass is the better technique anyways. Just make sure to add about as much mass as you expect the cone to weigh and keep it right at the voice coil in a ring if possible. I've used solder held down with clay as this is heavy enough without being to big. It has to be well attached to the cone.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi GedLee,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure of the Mms of this driver but it's a 12 inch coated paper cone, so I would imagine it's somewhere north of 30g. For a no-name driver it's quite nicely made. The frame is stamped steel however it is of a rather thick gauge. It has what looks to be a 1.5" voice coil and large spider, with butyl surround. I'll take come pictures of the build when I eventually get around to it.

May I ask - did you use a scale to weigh out your clay/solder mix?

Jim

Does anyone use SpeakerWorkshop also?
I am just getiing to work the whole material trough and building the jig also. It looks very difficult program, but is it worth to learn it?
SW is a good program to start out with, but since it is not updateded any more, you may eventually outgrow it. The jig you build can be used with many other software if designed properly. I have uploaded a file into the Yahoo SoundEasy user group that talkes about this.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I cannot believe nobody has mentioned SoundEasy. This does what the others do for much less. It can even analyze your room.
Home Page

If you are a real cheapskate, you can get a pretty good Speaker Workshop setup going for <$100 in outlay.

All software is GIGO, though. If you don't know enough to enter the right data, you get garbage results.

Very interested in Sound Easy. However, I am interested in getting an inexpensive notebook to use it, and a few years ago a desktop user said that the company recommended only a couple of sound cards for use with it. Have you had any sound card issues using Sound Easy, or heard of anyone who could not use the regular sound card in their desktop/notebook? I don't want to get the notebook and find out the sound card in it is unsuitable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.