Speaker sounds blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope, 1is a Sony mobile es something with protect light on - other is a pioneer that had polarity revesed during the install, blew all the regulators/fets/what ever they are. They are not legible >.<

That artis was a very good read. I've got many if the tools listed a decent understanding of electronics. I think I'm going to try to repair my pioneer amp first. Need schematic now. When I get home I'll pull it out of the drawer and start a new thread on it.

most car amplifiers follow the same lay out..dc in.. dc to dc converter circuit pwm psu then power amp stage.. oh the psu earth is different from the o/p earth point!..

Carry out a cold check's to see how many parts are damaged within the psu stage. If you can't get hold of the circuit diagram use the working amp for ref voltage checks. oh don't touch the gate's on the switching fet's within your amp powered up..pop!

The blown fet's in the pioneer amp, you can use the same type one's as the your working amp.

the best way is to check the pcb of the sony amp before powering it up...plus relook at the site on car audio amps..

you may want to think about building a test speaker dummy load for working on amps as it can save speakers from the burn up! ebay..4 ohm 200w metal clad resistors and blot them to a heatsink..

I got a billion test speakers(bout 10 junk 4 ohm speakers) and who knows how many 8 and stuff... But dang!! 200w.

I brought the pioneer amp to work today to play with it. It's a gm-x742. Using iPhone to take pics..... For some reason mine are clear :p Maybe it's the magnifying glass I use with it lol - making sure all text is clear and sharp on if chips and what not. From the top view it looks like only the fets are blown. I've replaced 1 with 1 out of a 12v rail from computer psu, havnt tested it though. Maybe I should pull it and just order the right 1s before I make it worse.

regarding a 'speaker' load for working on amp's check rod's elliott audio page and read up the project's page on speaker load build. I've used many type's of idea's such as electric bar fire to cooker rings.. i've worked on large power amps ranging from 600w per channel to over 2k rigs and needed away to test them..so feeding 1khz sine wave at high power levels can have you reaching for your ear plugs! my test load is fan cooled with many types of speaker connections such has binding post..jack..speakon socket and a tap for scope/meter connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.