Speaker selection & construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After seeing a thread on boomboxes that people made I decided to attempt my first proper DIY build. I have a little knowledge regarding speakers but I'm very eager to learn and jump into this hobby!

I'm planning on using an old retro slide projector case for the housing (I love recycling old stuff! :D)

For the internal componants, this is what I've decided so far:
~ A Lepai Tripath TA-2020 for the Amp - based on good reviews and cost
~ 1x 12v 7ah SLA Battery (will have an inbuilt charging setup to run the system on either battery or mains power)

What I need help with, is speaker selection in relation to the size of the housing. I dont have ANY experience with selecting the appropriate speaker and searching for information is mind boggling to me :confused: There are so many different types of speakers/drivers out there and I just cant figure out which would suit me the best.

The housing is approx. 23 litres and is a fairly square shape (see attached images) I'm thinking of running 1 main full range woofer off of 1 channel on the amp and 2 smaller speakers, maybe tweeters? off the second channel.

I dont really want to break the bank on this thing and I want to try keep it all under $100. After the amp and battery + misc wiring I figure I'l have roughly $40-$50 for the drivers....

My questions: What are the best suitable drivers for me for this application/housing size?
Do you think my arrangement of speakers is the best choice and layout?
Will I need a vent of any kind to release pressure from inside the box?
I have heard of crossovers? Will I need these for my tweeters?

Im only really new to this so go easy on me ;) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    889.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 111
I once built a guitar amp into a similar case, think was an old tape deck...
speakers, how about a couple of those 2" Peerless FR jobs + a 6" woofer that will suit the size of the cab, vented.
re: "I'm thinking of running 1 main full range woofer off of 1 channel on the amp and 2 smaller speakers, maybe tweeters? off the second channel" - that's not the way to go, I'd use a chip amp that contains 4 amps, use one ea for L+R, and bridge the remaining pair for the woofer (if that's not too complicated for you...). It may be easier for you to use two 5"woofers with the amp you decided on above.
Yes, you will need crossovers, but this can be quite simple - you need to decide on what drivers you'll use first

I once built a guitar amp into a similar case, think was an old tape deck...
speakers, how about a couple of those 2" Peerless FR jobs + a 6" woofer that will suit the size of the cab, vented.
re: "I'm thinking of running 1 main full range woofer off of 1 channel on the amp and 2 smaller speakers, maybe tweeters? off the second channel" - that's not the way to go, I'd use a chip amp that contains 4 amps, use one ea for L+R, and bridge the remaining pair for the woofer (if that's not too complicated for you...). It may be easier for you to use two 5"woofers with the amp you decided on above.
Yes, you will need crossovers, but this can be quite simple - you need to decide on what drivers you'll use first

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm the chip Amp idea sounds interesting. I looked on parts express under searching "chip amps" and could only find amps with 2 channels? Those speakers you suggested are a little out of my budget range unfortunately..maybe for the next project after I get the hang of things :p

I think I'm going to go with 2 of these Dayton Audio ND90-8 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Driver 8 290-210 They're in my price range nicely if I buy 2 and they have pretty good reviews. Would it be fairly straight forward to add a tweeter to go along with those speakers and the lepai amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.