Speaker Rebuild - Radio Shack 40-1271 and 40-1024

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, I wanted the subs on an open baffle.

With the picture from my last post, I was planning on having a board along the top that is ~3-4 inches wide and the full length of the top, then the sides will be 3-4 inches at the top and around ~8-10 inches on the bottom. I was going to make it 2 feet tall, but there is nothing saying I can't make it taller and about 2 feet wide (which I would like to stick with) at the bottom and around 20 inches at the top, so the sides would have a taper.

It wouldn't be a true, hardcore open baffle, but I think from what I have heard with my setup now that it will be all right. I don't listen to music very loud because I have a girlfriend that is not a big fan of my music. And I don't have parties, so there is no worry of idiots blowing it up. With this proposed design, it would keep all the speakers as close together as possible.

I listen to a lot of metal and punk, so I will eventually try something with the 8 inch Fostex speakers, maybe in a MLTL.

Right now I have them in a baffle that is 48 inches tall by about 24 inches wide. They produce bass and its enough for what I listen to. I have 2 subs per side, and they are run in parallel, near the bottom of the baffle.

Thats kind of why I think they might sound good enough for me in my new proposed baffle design. They won't sound anything as loud and thumping as they could in a proper vented box, but the 40-1271 I don't think would be able to keep up with them anyways if they were in a vented box.

Now, this is not very scientific, but with a frequency generator, they sound good in the bass down to around 35 Hz were they tapper of pretty quick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.