Speaker questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys got a used set of NSV-377 (Which I believe to be NAMCOs) speakers I can't find the exact representation on the internet they seem quite rare, but they are 90% identical to these on the link through searching never the less the question still applies.

The sound is really good for the low price I got these but they seem to be "3 way" (Sub, Mid and High) but all the sound I get on both of them is from the mid and sub. I opened up and the wiring on both is fine they all connect to the "HIGH RANGE" adjustment wheel are the smaller tweeters supposed to be making sound all the time on a set of these, or are they only there for VERY VERY high frequencies? Decoration?

Thanks !

i287104489195991759._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Little update, I pulled the tweeter out on one of them and hooked a cheap tweeter i had laying around in parallel with the current tweeter's terminals and sound comes out. What exactly would cause two tweeters to not function? Could the previous owner have blown them without blowing the rest of the speaker?

Thanks

Little update, I pulled the tweeter out on one of them and hooked a cheap tweeter i had laying around in parallel with the current tweeter's terminals and sound comes out. What exactly would cause two tweeters to not function? Could the previous owner have blown them without blowing the rest of the speaker?

Thanks

Yes. That would be a likely cause.

There's no identification on the tweeter at all not even a impedance or anything on the back..

The mid speaker reaches into such high frequencies that it was pretty hard to realize the small one wasn't working I mean the sound is still quite good for a computer setup.

Do you guys have any suggestions of tweeters I could put in there that could be a good cheap replacement just to have it working?

Is it normal to have 0 impedance when measuring accross the tweeter's terminals? I know piezo tweeters have near 0 resistance but what about these?

Thanks

No. Pretty much the only one's are ribbons with transformers built in. Piezo's especially should not have 0. DCR can be pretty low though, 1-2 Ohms. A simple test really is a 1.5V battery across the terminals. See if you hear anything at all when you attach it. Should hear some scratching and popping.

I did some reading, I guess Namco was Panasonic before it was Panasonic? You are really talking old here. :) You'd have to measure them to find a good match. It would have been nice to know originally what they were, 6 or 8 Ohms, but meh.

Since you have a level control, I'd just pick something that fits the hole and isn't ugly. :)

Try Parts-Express or Madisound. Their SB Acoustics tweeters are really nice and cheap from what I have learned.

None of this is ideal. Ideally you'd examine what you are left with and then maybe fixup the tweeter crossover for the best match. If you can't or don't want to measure, fitting the hole and relying on your level adjustment may be the best thing.

Also, get something inexpensive. You may find that you have a real mismatch in efficiency. That is, the tweeter may be way too loud or too soft, so you may have to experiment if you can't measure.

If you want to explore free measurement tools, look up Room EQ Wizard.

Best,

Erik

I like your idea of as long as its not ugly and fits the hole, thats exactly what I'm looking for because besides these speakers I Have 4 other speakers playing in tandem on a quadriphonic stereo setup so the "little high frequency" I'll be adding with these tweeters is probably just more of a mental satisfaction..

I like how the model I just posted up as a very CLOSE example also has the MID RANGE LEVEL I wish I could adjust both, but after inspecting my LEVEL SWITCH, there are 3 wires

one black one red one yellow, the black is the negative and is split into a Y going to the mid and tweeter speakers. The yellow goes to the tweeter the red to the mid. So in whole, I guess this potentiometer is actually adjusting mid AND tweeter levels?

I like how the model I just posted up as a very CLOSE example also has the MID RANGE LEVEL I wish I could adjust both, but after inspecting my LEVEL SWITCH, there are 3 wires

one black one red one yellow, the black is the negative and is split into a Y going to the mid and tweeter speakers. The yellow goes to the tweeter the red to the mid. So in whole, I guess this potentiometer is actually adjusting mid AND tweeter levels?

Now I'm confused. Please post a picture of your diagram. You should have a capacitor that goes only to the tweeter. If not, that would explain why it's not working. :)

Thanks,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.