Speaker panel deadening mix of particles + hardener ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Troels Gravesen uses 4mm thick bitumen pads for his speakers. I have tried without success to get hold of some in the UK. They are made and used in controlling resonances in equipment and machinery but the companies involved will not sell them to Joe Public or unless you buy several hundred pounds worth at a time. I believe it is all to do with H&S bitumen not being a "nice" material. Some jobsworth who has never even put a fuse in a plug no doubt came up with the notion to ban the stuff.

SteveT

Loudspeaker enclosure damping

Offset the braces a bit from center to break up the unsupported parts of the panel into different sizes. That way only part of any panel can be excited at any time.

Following on from Mr. Weldon, I would add that my experience has shown that braces should be oriented in an asymmetrical manner and spaced one from another at dimensions roughly 1/5th of the minimum wavelength in reference to the crossover frequency. This method will add a great deal of rigidity to the enclosure, break up internal standing waves and force the back wave through longer paths of the internal damping material better reducing their amplitude and enclosure emissions. Extensive use of internal braces will add mass helping to stabilize the enclosure in response to output forces, but of course this is addressing another subject matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.