Speaker impedances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of building a speaker system. I have a 1 inch dome tweeter and 8 inch woofer. The woofer's impedance is 4 ohm while the tweeter's impedance is 8 ohm. Now, when building speakers, should the impedances of all drivers match or can they be different since I plan to bi-wire them. I do not want to spend money for another woofer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vivek,
No, they don't have to be the same, however, keep in mind that the load presented to your amp will vary with frequency. Neglecting the effect of the passive crossover, you'll be getting a 4 ohm load within the woofer's operating range, and 8 ohm whilst the tweeter is handling the sonic duties.

Grey

Joined 2000
Paid Member
They can be different. When you build the crossover, the impedence should be input to the correct calcultion to determine the crossover point for each driver. If you are using bi-amping, it shouldn't be any trouble. If they were used in parallel, I'm sure the total impedence would drop.
Sounds like you'll be ok w/ your setup.

GRollins,

It is a very commmon problem for us loudspeakers dyers when we are trying to conciliate good bass response, size, wife desire and cost.

I always use 6" or 5" midbass when I´m designing 2 way boxes. It´s very hard to obtain 8" drivers with good mid range response.

vdi_nenna,

About productive answers and clowns, a productive answer is not comment this kind of ********.

Regards

Joined 2000
Paid Member
BLMN, I wasn't referring to your thread. I was referring to something else; I should have said something then, but I didn't.

And you're right, so I won't say anything about your current lesson on forum conduct to me, especially since you don't know what I'm talking about.

[Edited by vdi_nenna on 07-30-2001 at 02:52 PM]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.