Speaker grilles: metal or fabric?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some time ago I've made a pair of Zaph's ZDT3.5 and recently we've got a couple of cats. As I was told they sometimes like to destroy rubber speaker surrounds. So I think of making grilles for lower woofers. The question is what is better to use: typical car-audio grilles made of metal or fabric on a wooden frame? Round grilles used in car-audio are attractive and would be a simple solution but what is their sonic effect on the bass?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Oleg

I've had cloth covers over subs for about 4 generations of cats, maybe 8 different cats. None of them were attracted to the speakers or the cloth covers. One was sniffing at the woofers when the cannons went off in the 1812 Overture, he matealized a few feet away, but no damage to either. My current woofers are right at cat-interest height, and they've been there 7 years. No damage.

Vapor deposited platinum on a rubidium substrate for vibration dampening is the only way to go with high end work.

But seriously, never had cats attack a driver. The cloth covers though, delightful claw magnets. However, I provide the kittens plenty of places they CAN claw, so it's very very rare they really go after something expensive.

Erik

Last edited:
I did not worry at the beginning and did not even think of a danger to my speakers from the cats. It is after the previous owner of the cats told me that cats (I guess not the once we've got from him) destroyed his speakers I started to look for grilles... In principle I could try without grilles. In the worst case it will cost me a driver... or two:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.