Speaker damping paint/coating

I've not had chance to see that one yet, but it's on the list for the next week or so. :) His high point for me was the first series of The Reassembler. Who would have thought 30 minutes of watching May in his shed putting something back together very slowly would make a good TV show? It did though. Second series lost a bit of the magic somewhere along the way sadly.

Hopefully a new GT episode will be around soon. Clarkson said a few weeks back it was more or less ready. Daft, but I think we could all do with a bit of escapism these days...

I'm escaping outdoors, just discovered it's the ants fault that I got no cherries on my tree last year. They crawl into the individual flowers to cut the stigma/style, help bring in aphids that thrive on the increased sap flow, and happily milk the aphids through the season. Now that I finally understand what's going on I see they do this on a grand scale, started trying to figure out where they live, and there's a 5 meter long, 1.5m wide, 1 m tall stack of building materials under some covers from maybe 10 years before that is completely packed with several nests.
After reading up heavily I have decided to combat the ants using Aspartam, will go to the shop to get diet soft drinks tomorrow. And also some glue bands almost like flypaper to wrap around all the tree trunks.

Sorry about the OT.

I'm also awaiting anxiously for a new GT episode.
I'll have a look at the Reassambler.

About "paint".... We use this polymer cement paint on roofs and walls outside. Our houses are made of concrete. It helps when the concrete cracks, the paint having rubberized polymer stretches a little and no water will come in.

I had the idea of coating the interior of enclosures with it when I dropped a screw on the floor. Normally, dropping a screw on concrete, it just bounces and rings. But that time, I dropped it on a layer of that paint and it just died on the spot. No bouncing, no ringing. I thought it might be good for reducing vibrations in enclosures. Haven't had the time to test it though.

And now reading, I see I'll just add mass to the enclosure, and it might not have the effect I was hoping for.

Well, it can and it can't. If you'll forgive the expression. Depends on the design details. For bass enclosures, you're usually better off aiming for high-rigidity, heavily braced panels. That's generally more likely to ensure the panel modes are out of the box operating BW than a high mass, low [panel] Fs approach is. For midrange / HF enclosures though, you generally invert that and a high mass approach is fine; at the end of the day, all we're trying to do is shunt the panel Fs & its harmonics to somewhere the box isn't producing much energy.

If he catches this thread, DaveD might want to comment on the damping paint he used on Fostex and other brands of stamped baskets. It was sourced from marine industry, IIRC. It took many thin coats to build up sufficiently to fill recesses on rear of stamped basket flanges, and at the extreme, to fair out the irregular surfaces between baskets and magnets of motor structure. There was at least one very detailed thread on this; probably over 10yrs ago now.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I apply mass loaded butyl sheets on the inside of my speaker cabinets. It works very well on resonant foam core cabinets and also on regular ply wood boxes. The stuff is designed for autosound door panels.

One brand is Noico - it has a foil back that allows easy installation and the foils acts as to give it constrained layer damping (CLD).

Related to this is to apply a non hardening adhesive like latex caulking and then another thin layer of plywood on top. That really helps through CLD.