Speaker Camp - July 2023 - Pass SLOB - Northern California

Joined 2022
Paid Member
My daughter and I had a great time. We came home and finished the build, got everything wired up by midnight, and listened to these well into the night. These speakers look and sound great, and are going to be permanently in the living room, which means I now have a new interior design project!

Thanks a ton to the Brocks for being such amazing hosts. And thank you, Nelson Pass, for this project.

Attaching a photo that shows the setup as it is now. It’s a bit of a mess and I’ll need to clean things up eventually, but for now I’m going to spend time listening to some music. The speakers are powered by two ACAs and the crossover is fed by an ACP+ and the whole thing just sounds so good. Still going to use this as an excuse for some more projects, so I plan to build a couple of single-ended BA3s and a Mezmerize soon.
IMG_6640.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm so sad to have missed it this year! I was off the forums for a while because of a house move and am just seeing the thread, i was halfway through signing up at the google form before i realized the date had passed :rolleyes:. The camp photos look idyllic just like last year.

@N Brock If there is an unclaimed pair i would be honored to sign up now and pick it up!

I'll toss out a few thoughts just to see if they spark additional ideas....

1) Consider size limitation to allow the project to fit in a standard checked bag for an airline. (This will surely result in more participation from around the world)
2) Maybe consider incorporating some sort of 3D printed parts in the design. This approach could yield a fun "one of a kind" design since additive fabrication on small scales is both practical and, if small enough for hobby printers, very affordable.

My 2 cents to kindle further discussion on the overall topic.

-Dan

@JKiriakis: Did you snap up that killer deal? Nice.

What I've found is that the full range Moths are fairly directional, and one needs to be pretty well centered or have the toe-in just right to get the detail.

The trimmers are for treble and bass levels. If, like me, you are using a larger stereo amp or mono amps for the 15" woofers than you are using for the Moths, you'll want to trim the bass accordingly. I'm looking to build a 35-40W amp for that purpose, as I'm wasting my 100W APT power amp in that position, considering the frequency range required.

Once you find the right position and trim the mids/treble and lows to your preference, you should be very pleased.

@GTKAudio; Yes good fortune, and the quality level is superb.

Thanks for confirming trimmer function, makes sense based on their effect when turned. Using an AlephJ for the woofers and M2x for the moths. So fairly balanced from a power perspective. My first foray into active crossover for home hifi, only other active xover experience was triamped live sound reinforcement circa 1983. So it's a steep learning curve but a good one. Nearing completion of a 6-24 unit now.

Just in the last 30 minutes system sound steadily improving.