SOZ vs Aleph/A75

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
right setup?

Peter Daniel said:
That's not a boring one. I am myself really curious if in a right setup SOZ beats Aleph.
Because Aleph does better A75. Check my comments here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4534

What do mean with right setup?

i tested different parts, before i was quite satisfied:
special resistors in signal-path, best capacitors, bypassed with super-best small foil-capacitors in PSU, real oversized transformers, vishay dale 50watt resistors.....(lots of $$$)

has anyone ideas, experiences about better/other parts?

Ralf

I am thinking of building both, I was building an A75 first, then an Aelph first, now I found IRF130 & IRF9130 for $3.50 ea. CAD so I am considereing the A75 again. My question too those of you who built an A75, how important is device matching of the Output FET's on an A75?

I am more than happy to match fets to the cows come home on an Aelph project when the FET's are $1.15 CAD but at $3.50 ea I would rather not.

Anthony

A follow up question for anyone caring to spare thier sage advise, would a person be better off to build a Pair of Aelph II's or the Aelph IV. The both offer 100 Watts Class A though with a few changes. Technical issues aside, I want to know the Human factor in how the reproduction qualities of sound are ultimately effected.

Peter Daniel has already stated the the Aelph has a warmer more tube quality, where the A75 has a sharper image and more apparent detail. So in the same vernacular how does the Aelph II and Aelph IV stack up against each other?

I hope I am not Hijacking this Thread with this off topic line of questioning. ;)

Anthony

But I'm not saying that Aleph has less detail. I think it has more.;)

As to comparing Aleph 4 and 2 they are basically the same amps. One is stereo, the other is mono. Because it's mono you can probably bias it more and that's the main difference. It's your call if you want to build one amp, or two amps. It also depends on heat sinks you would use. You might try to get Aleph 2 but if your heatsinks are not large enough you would have to reduce the bias and in reality get Aleph4, or maybe even Aleph5.;)

I think that more difference will be caused by components selection than by the design that you choose.

You have to match the devices for A75 the same way as you do for Aleph. But since there is so many of them and they work at lower power, maybe you could cheat a bit.
And I told you before that Aleph is way cheaper to built.;)

I think that more difference will be caused by components selection than by the design that you choose.

Thanks Peter, what VA rating do you suggest for the Transformer? I like using one transformer and seperate DC circuits as it affords much greater instantaneous power reserves than two smaller ones. I am confused somewhat by the enormous transformers some enthusiasts use. I worked out that a 750VA should be more than enough for a Stereo Aelph V, probably enough for Stereo Aelph II or IV. Is there any quantitive data that shows otherwise?

Thanks

Anthony

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually there is a story behind that. I never wanted to
build the Aleph 4 because I prefer monoblock 2's.

But some customers insisted, and rather than alienate
people putting money in my pocket, we created the
amp, but just to be perverse we named it the Aleph 4,
a name ordinarily to be avoided since 4 is an unlucky
number in Asian cultures.

The amp got highly reviewed and they sold well anyway.

quote:

I guess you also know that the number 8 is a very good number in the Asian Cultures ....... would that be for some future product? I assumed your product sells very well in the Asian market.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.