Sounstream Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks!

I am planning on buying an old school soundstream amp, and would like to know when the company was bought out. Are there any models that I should stay away from that were made during the transition? I had an SS amp back in the early 90s (not sure which model.. MC maybe) and I remember how great it sounded. The highs were so smooth, even at loud levels. Every amp I have tried since then seems to be harsh on my ears at loud levels (the highs).

Could anyone recommend an SS old school model, and or, tell me which ones had the most problems (I know there were some heat issues). I'm looking to spend about $200-$300. I need a 4 or 5 channel amp with 30-50 watts per channel.
Thanks

I have owned MANY SS old school amps and they are some of my faves.

I just purchased a MC300 (no reason, just wanted it)

The D series amps are great.
The MC series are also great.

IMO the D200 (first series not D200 II) are some of the best sounding amps that are obtainable by the common man.

The Class A 100 (basically a D200 II) are also great SQ amps.

Any of the D or MC amps are great....after that they started to have reliability issues and started to cater a demo that is impressed with chrome spiders and bling.

hoonyaker said:
Hello folks!

I am planning on buying an old school soundstream amp, and would like to know when the company was bought out. Are there any models that I should stay away from that were made during the transition? I had an SS amp back in the early 90s (not sure which model.. MC maybe) and I remember how great it sounded. The highs were so smooth, even at loud levels. Every amp I have tried since then seems to be harsh on my ears at loud levels (the highs).

Could anyone recommend an SS old school model, and or, tell me which ones had the most problems (I know there were some heat issues). I'm looking to spend about $200-$300. I need a 4 or 5 channel amp with 30-50 watts per channel.
Thanks

I got a Rubicon 805 < you can goggle the model number to check spec's> for sale its still good old SS quality inside and its in your price range and it still looks good PM if interested....C

PS the Rubs were the last American made SS amps to come out all the rest come from offshore...

Alas both the PQ-15 and the Rub 805 are headed for e-bay in the next few days. I have over 120 amplifiers and I must let some of them go to make room for other things in my life.

As for SQ differences well thats a very subjective question, and it all depends on your ears more than mine.
I would tend to think the Rubicon 805 is a better SQ amp but thats because its a newer design and it was based on the older Reference line that SoundStream built with very little difference inside except a few quality improvements by SS. SoundStream was always known for its outstanding SQ.

Both of these amps are from my collection and are some of my favorite amps from back in the day. this is why the PQ-15 has all new caps in the amp section. I was not its first owner and when i got it I being technically inclined went through it to restore it Like New operation and SQ.

Both amps are 6 channel but the 805 has both the bass channels bridged on output for running a sub. the 805 has all the needed crossovers built in, while the PQ-15 is just a straight 6 channel amp with no signal processing inside at all. So the PQ-15 would need a crossover to utilize it fully in a system. The 805 is about twice the physical size of the PQ-15 also so if space is a issue then the 805 might not be your cup of tea.

I can be reached by using the e-mail function under my post if you wish to talk some more....:)

What is that Continuum? There was a broken one on there a couple months ago, about 5 times it was listed. Now I see a working one there. I have a Rub 302 but have only tried it on a sub. It has the beans for a 300w amp.

It is a kicker....but I've not had a good experience with the 5ch I have now. Again, it is no SS. It seems weak in the AB section and it is not a power issue. I'd say the old alpine I had on there before had better SQ without doubt.

If your comparing the PQ-15 to a Alpine you would need to go way back to the black 35 series these were built inside like the PQ-15 < parts wise anyway>
And neither of these older amps are using the same internals as the Rubicon, So its apples to oranges type comparison. SS always designed and built every stage of their amps. ADS and Alpine back in the PQ days used UPC power amp driver chips for their amps internal driver section.
Very modular, and off the shelf in design. SS was all original in their designs of amp circuitry, so they did not use UPC driver chips to my knowledge.

As long as neither of these amps are driven into clipping they should sound pretty much alike according to some of the engineering thinking thats out there, as both had very low distortion ratings and the only major difference being the amount and type of negative feedback used by each. Oh and SS has always used Darlington outputs in all their amps over the years, where as the ADS and Alpine used Japanese audio outputs but not Darlington to my knowledge.

I have not been watching e-bay so I am unaware of a broken continuum that you are mentioning.....:)

I've not seen ADS guts, but yes I was running a 3518. Now I bought another I'd like to mono them if possible to run a front stage. I started a thread here but it got put on the backburner. UPC1225H in the 3518, I also have a 3542 with the UPC1270H that has some offset issues I'm putting caps in to start with.

Yes, many say there is little difference in the sound. What I like is amps that fall into distortion quickly like the alpine. The kicker for example is very gradual while the alpine falls on its face at max output and you know right away; no guessing. When you have to run the amp to max that is, the 3518 is only 30-40w/ch. I have yet to find out why this happens, maybe something about distortion ratio. The 3518 does run hot, especially at 2 ohms that the manual does not address. I used a fan on it. I don't use much EQ either so the amp's sound may be more important to me.

Last late fall sometime there was a broken continuum on there. It was relisted a bunch of times, so many times people started asking why. I don't know if this one on now is the same, that broken one needed a polish.

When I rework my system, I want to go active and use these alpines and/or the SS or some others I have here with a class D on subs. But have no idea what amps would work better...:) Problem I do have is room for multiple amps, so I can't just put all large amps in. The old SS and alpines are somewhat compact. I have a newer 4ch infinity and the thing is just huge, though supposedly 111wrms x4 at 4ohm. I've never used it.

As I recall the picture was on a carpet floor. I've heard they can be hard to work on but not what models, I have not seen one's guts guess I should look in the one I have. Have not come upon another to pair up with this one or I might run them, though I really don't care what brand or mixture of amps are in my car long as they work well. The prices on them sure do fluctuate.

that's the one i bought! i sent him an email today to see where we stand with the amp, been 6 weeks now and no sign of amp, about 10 days ago he told me it went to the wrong city and got sent back and how it was on it's way again but i find that a little hard to believe....

No I am not Jim Lincoln in Bahalia / Horn Lake, Mississippi. I live in Nor Cal.

I have sold about 50 amps on e-bay but I have stopped because of his type of carnival barking and profiteering and the confusion I get when I do sell as people think I am him. < or he is me depending on your point of view>
He is in his early thirty's at most, not old enough to really know about most of the amps he sells. I am over 50 myself. He would have been 12 when some of the amps he talks so much about were being made lol lol lol
He is a e-bay speculator, buying low one week, and reselling high next week, and he has 5 different buying names his latest if t24bit.
hes just a guy selling amps to make money, and has NO technical background at all.

I have asked the mod here if I could change my name but the mod never responded. So I do apologize if my DIY name has caused you any confusion, perhaps some day I will get a answer about changing it

I am 1moreamp :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.