Soundlab A3 high voltage circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

The static charging circuit of a friend's Soundlab A3 loudspeaker has (more or less) stopped working (it supplies about 2 kV at most as opposed to a max of around 12kV). Does anybody have a schematic of the "black box" - or does anybody know if a replacement is available?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hans J. Mortensen

The static charging circuit of a friend's Soundlab A3 loudspeaker has (more or less) stopped working (it supplies about 2 kV at most as opposed to a max of around 12kV). Does anybody have a schematic of the "black box" - or does anybody know if a replacement is available?

Does the high voltage "black box" look anything like the one below for the Soundlab A1?
If so, I believe it is one of the CS2091 series HV modules made by HV Power Solutions Inc.
You could try to contact them, although your best bet for acquiring a replacement is probably to email Soundlab.

Have you tried swapping the interface units between speakers to verify that it is indeed the power supply and not a leaky panel that is pulling down the high voltage module output? Alternatively, you could try disconnecting the diaphragm connection when measuring the voltage to see how much it loads down the supply.

Attachments

• SL_HVmodule.jpg
    SL_HVmodule.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 466
  • CS2091_HVmodules.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Dear bolserst.
Thank you for your reply! The "black box" on my friend's Soundlab does not resemble the one you show - but it may nevertheless be a way of getting the old speaker up and running again, so thank you for the tip.

I measured the HV with the electronics completely disconnected from the electrostatic panels, so I am pretty sure that the HV circuit is at fault.

However, I have communicated with Soundlab, yet so far they have not come up with a solution - but friendly they are!

I plan to hook up an external HV supply to the panels to check if that makes the faulty one play again, but I haven't had time for that yet. I'll keep you posted.

Hjkm.

I promised to keep you posted - but regrettably I forgot about it. But here goes:
About a week after my last post the Soundlab people offered a replacement "black box" at a fair price. We sealed the deal and the postman brought it within a week or two. It did the trick and the speaker is singing again. Very remarkable service considering the age of the speaker.
Greetings
Hjkm

hi
i have a SOUNDLAB A3 panel which is not working. The HT supply has tested ok, and swapped over to the other speaker and found to be working ok. ? there doesn't look to be any tears or splits in the membrane. What is the audio mixer module ? I assume it on the signal side ? do you have a photograph or supplier. Is it easily unplugged or soldered. I'm in the UK

thanks
graham

Since you have confirmed that both interface units(including HV supply) are in working order, the problem must be with the panel or wiring to the panel. The description of little or no output is most likely caused by lack of bias. So, trace the wire with the yellow connector up to the diaphragm contact and check for continuity between it and the yellow connector. If you have continuity up to the diaphragm contact, then it is a problem with the conductive coating on the diaphragm.

Attachments

• A-3_04.jpg
    A-3_04.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 266
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.