Sound Smith Strain Gauge Phono Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Flavio81,

Thanks, I'll check out Vinyl Engine. Where can you get the panasonic cart?

Though, I plan on using the Sound Smith SG cart, probably the cheaper on to start with since I don't know much about SG, and I'm not sure how it will work out.

Since when the Soundmith SG cart is cheap? It's $5000+ if i remember correctly.

The cartridge can be found from time to time on Ebay. Here are the cartridges that you should look for:

EPC-450CII
EPC-451C
EPC-460C
EPC-465C

They all look the same.

The EPC-450C looks different and it's not so desirable, being one generation behind.

The cartridge can be found from time to time on Ebay. Here are the cartridges that you should look for:

EPC-450CII
EPC-451C
EPC-460C
EPC-465C

They all look the same.

The EPC-450C looks different and it's not so desirable, being one generation behind.

Dear All,

Firstly, apologies for resurrecting an old thread,but I have a question and would very much appreciate the benefit of the forum's experience.

Looking at Flavio's list above, he is right; the EPC-450C looke completely different from the EPC-450CII, but are they both strain gauge cartridges?

Also, Flavio, have you made any updates or changes to the circuit diagram or component specifications for your strain gauge cartridge pre-amplifier?

Cheers,

David.:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, they are both strain gauge cartridges. I have a 450C, a couple of 451C and a 465C.

The 450C is quite different in internal construction with the transducers mounted in the vertical plane. The later ones are unmistakably different and the transducers are mounted in the horizontal plane and the stylus couples much more directly to the transducers through a little rubber bushing on the stylus.

There is a current thread on the Panasonic cartridges and the hybrid pre-amplifier I designed for them.

Here: Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)

(I'm optimistically assuming you are still paying attention to this thread, given it was 9 months ago perhaps not..)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.