Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Junkers -Deltic idea is 1920 based. The Munich museum has an excellent collection of the Junkers. These are even more complicated being opposed twins. The Delta form engine only has one complicated direction change.

Looking at side valve flat head diesels most of the side valve defects are avoided. Mainly flat head looses out when high octane short stroke petrol designs are compared. One arguement of side valve is that it is not a cross flow design. There isn't great evidence to support this as a phase exists between inlet and exhaust. Harry Weslakes Kidney shaped OHV heads was one of the most fuel efficient. Also modern engines limit over lap of valve opening to reduce pollution.

Side valve has a few advantages. Valve train is lighter. Whilst a high reving side valve is unlikely it is nice to have a light valve train. Side valves can allow the valve to open over top dead centre ( TDC ). In a diesel side valve the fuel is pumped in at > 100 bar and at an ideal compression ratio of 17 : 1 ( typical range 14 : 1 to 23 : 1 ). Ideally an assited turbocharger is used. Unfortunately I never took a patent for one I designed. I called it a Megacharger. A low mass induction motor in the centre of a turbo charger.

In the 1930's an Austrailian company had a mono valve side valve diesel engine. This seems to opperate much like the two stroke. The inlet and exhaust in one. They claimed increased valve life as it had a cooling cycle.

A 3 valve side valve looks good. The 2 inlet valves closer to the piston.

The problem with modern cars is more energy goes into the making of the car than into the fuel tank during it's life. The Prius being a bad example . My dream car would be a big Woody with VW standards of rust protection. 45 UK miles per gallon or about 16 kM / L. Everything that could ever be trouble 2 hours from first spanner to removed. A V6 3 litre seems OK with side by side crank lobe use. Exhausts either side to allow simple valve access. As turbo is assited the length of manifold less important. Top speed 100 MPH and 0-62 mph 14 seconds. Possible 120/12. The Mercades Sprinter shows it can be done.

Rear wheel drive with electrical front ( Hybrid ). Battery range 20 miles. 230 V output for emergencies.

Cost about $35 000. Life > 25 years with routine repairs. Engine apart from injection should be a do it at home rebuild. Oil filter and sump plug easy to get to. A full service less than one hour. The Hybrid side should be good for 20 miles at 30 MPH. If you think about it when 4 wheel drive in snow 30 MPH is all you want. One belt to the generator.

RURG3060 - FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR - DIODE, SOFT, 30A | Farnell element14

This is the cheapest high current diode I can find . I can use a 50 A bridge. Two problems with that . I am using it as AC protection. When a bridge shorted + to - and AC conections used ( on AC ) that means double the voltage drop of a single diode. In one application I have that is a bonus. This new one is not.

The idea is simple enough. The two diodes are reverse biased so protect each other whilst clamping. Peak currnt is the bigger question. 25 amps 5 seconds also. Even the 50 amp bridge is limited to 400 amps peak.

One idea I had which seems better on paper is a Schottky. I would common the anodes and reverse bias a pair. Whilst I do not exspect two diodes to share the current perhaps a 20 % advantage as one heats up. The device will see 300 VAC. Hopefully the reversed bias + forward biased diode will allow the use of low voltage types?

MBR4060PT - MULTICOMP - DIODE, SCHOTTKY, 40A, 60V | Farnell element14. TO247 is about the size limit.

There is a very good Bus museum at Long Hanborough Oxon. The AEC engines used in GWR rail cars also. The Routemaster is considered the best of all designs. Suspension is wonderful and tilt angle it can resist. The Oxford bus company went for an even higher spec. The 1948 Oxford RT style AEC is very modern although started pre 1939 as a design ( I want one except it uses a crash box ) . I didn't know of any funny quirks of the design. Some were 5 degrees engine tilt to have a lower platform. My neighbour works at the museum so I get trips on the old buses. These engines are direct injection as far as I know.

The famed 97 HP bus was designed by a locomotive engineer. He got it to launch of of the lights quicker than modern engineers for the same horsepower. He used the chassis just like a locomotive so as not to loose this initial energy store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHbF0jAzMw

This is a cult classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbpUCKz4qY

The side valve diesel reached it's peak about 1929 in the Ricardo Comet. This neatly overcame many problems by having a swirl chamber. Up to 1951 Paxman sold this design. Here is a patent saying it could have a new life. On balance the Comet was simpler as the chamber had no moving parts. It also makes for smoother running.

AEC A155 seems to be related to the Comet. I think AEC did try a Junkers SA9 about this time.

One interesting thing I read is that simply reducing bore diametre reduced bearing failiure. I wouldn't have thought it so dramatic at 600 RPM. Lister was 5 1/2 inches x 5 1/2 inches from 1909. Reducing to 4 1/2 x 5 1/2 stroke made for greater relaibility when diesel. I suspect this engine was made up to 1980 and continues in India. Mr Ricardo again.

Busses in 1929 would do 8.5 miles per UK gallon when the Ricardo engine. That seems excellent. Petrol less than 5.

My favourite diesel Perkins Prima 2 L direct injection ( 17 : 1 ). Perkins is the posh side of RR. I have had two of these. The VW I now own is a highly stressed cousin. The Perkins could do 90% what the VW can with no electonics involved.

Patent US4369746 - Catalytic combustion engines - Google Patents

I thought you might like to see the side / one valve diesel. The only engines I have seen do this are two stroke. Even so many have external scavenging to make it possible.
A Monovalve Diesel Engine

Here is another idea now used for drones. Nice V4 engine . He was the designer of the Norton Comando ( also on the shopping list ).

I proposed to them a version as a diesel engine that uses Jet Kerosene as fuel, lubricant and coooling. The fuel is about 3.8 times less good at shifting heat than pure water. 50/50 aniti freeze will not be as good as water . Seeing as air is often used the calculation could work. I doubt if fuel at 90 to 110 C is a problem. I suspect if anything it is better. Kerosene is cheap if for aircraft use and will burn in a compression engine very well. The twostroke is a good idea as it might need cleaning if kerosene. The US airforce people I lived with used it in generators as diesel is forbidden where aircraft are used as it could be used in F1-11's by mistake. They said the generators needed cleaning more often as a result. I don't know if true. Seems to me an injector change should be enough as the fuel is a very nice grade. Never forget diesel is the dream fuel as it has so much power and residuals lubricate the top end. With my design the blow-by even is an advantage. The sump on the Hooper engine is a wet sump. That is unusual for a two stroke. It is not used to elevate the induction presure. In 1 hour 5 litres of fuel might pass. This would mean the fuel would be minimally degraded as lubricant. The fuel could be fitered and slightly cooled in the fuel tank. Myself I would use wet sump and valve to keep the sump at a given level so no fuel returns to the tank.

STEPPED PISTON ENGINE OPERATING PRINCIPLE

I know TD300 very well. Kept one going for 325 000 miles. Engine still good if anyone has £800 for the Landrover for parts. Alas someone seems to have been trying an insurance job at it's expense. Couldn't prove it . Ran it on Castrol 15W50 as Castrol said it would be OK. It was. Oil changed every 6000 miles. The VW engine wouldn't cope, it needs VW 505 or whatever. Apart from a layshaft in the gearbox nothing every done of note. Will do 33 UK MPG if keeping to 90 KPH. Still on same turbo. TD300 is a wonderful engine except why use a belt for push rods ?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not sure many can. But the type 43 sets are (I guess) running up some 2500 miles a week still. Although how much of a grandads broom they are now is anyones guess. Certainly the original engines were replaced about 10 years ago. The MTUs are boringly quiet in comparison to the valencias, but up on power. With one at each end I think there is over 5000HP on tap.

Here is the answer to proposed diesel car taxes, an Atkinson layout. It functions almost as a two stroke. The hybrid design overcomes the lack of torque of an engine optimised for low consumption. The complexity is high. I like the Toyota VVt. This engine would be more than enough to power large cars as a hybrid. I wouldn't mind a harvesting meter that says I can safely overtake. Just like overtaking itself one should judge the moment. My guess is 3 minutes of such power could always be on tap for sensible drivers.

The diesel I showed yesterday had 45 % thermal effiency. This engine not quite this high. VW claim one of 70% + for an experimental diesel. I doubt VW do, that would be the PR dept. Volvo had a small turbine that wasn't close to that. In fact for it's 100 BHP is was the same as the VW TDi. The reason is small turbine engines must be able to survive birds being sucked in. For cars this is not a requirement. Even so a low mass turbine is only looking to be 30 % better. This is more or less an isothermal engine. The thrust of a small turbine might not be so much more than a V8. Big turbines have too much thrust, cyclists beware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEfOxKmCstg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsvOQBxU0A

Last edited:
Thinking of this it seems two strokes should be possible if torque is the hybrid side. The two stroke has at best about 55 % of the cycle that a four stoke has to sort out the exhaust gasses. I doubt the Atkinson any better. The Hooper two stoke uses the opposite piston of a twin to keep gasses out of the crankcase and offer mild supercharging. This derives from the 1920's Dunault design I seem to remember. The Hooper engine looks to me to be very possible in hybrids. The engine isn't a total loss lubrication principle. It has oil changes like four strokes. When diesel it has ideal lubrication. Read valves can be used, a simple way of enhancing the perofrmance. In 1975 a motorcycle was already running. Now these engines used for drones.

BACKGROUND TO BERNARD HOOPER ENGINEERING LTD

The torque curves make very interesting reading. The big V4 about 42 kG I think ? Even the small ones would power a hybrid. 19 kG ?

http://www.ukintpress-conferences.com/uploads/SPKEX14/d2_s0_p2_peter_hooper.pdf

Last edited:
The two stoke if OK on pollution would offset the weight of the hybrid side. 19 kG looks very possible for a relaible 30 kW. 4 wheel drive seems ideal as the unsprung weight is then much as the non hybrid of that type. Turbo should make it easier. As the hybrid system will give inital power the engine can be made optimum for use of fuel. Turbo lag no real problem when a hybrid. The engines could be replaced in 10 minutes I suspect if required. More over with no special tools nor lifting gear. Each wheel motor about 15 kW. Perhaps a 2 way clutch for direct coupling at motorwar or fast A road speed in rear wheel drive ( bidirectional use of clutch ). Road sensors using the brake imformation bring in the front motors when differential speed too great. Battery range 20 miles with home charging option. For that say to the motor only come on if batteries low. All up weight 1.2 tonne in Estate car version ( like Golf ).

Nige

Most efficient piston engines on the world with internal combustion are two stroke heavy diesel from big oversea ships , check firma Wartsila-Sulzer from Switzerland ..., but there is few more manufacturers which produce those big two stroke diesel based on that unique principle(Uniflow -Scavenged),
and yes those big diesel engines works with one `hanging` exaust valve per cylinder .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.