Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Actually if you make the pot 100K and R14 10K then the circuit makes sense. It gives better feel to the gain trim control. So I suspect this is really an argument about a typo.

Well fortunately it was easy to dig up the actual link (once it occurred to me to do so!) Low Noise Balanced Microphone Preamp

And --- no mention of the function of the 100k, but a description of the 10k as requiring a reverse log taper! And there is even a mention of the 1000uF cap: "There is usually no problem with zero DC bias on modern electros. "

I guess the main author, Phil Allison, figures some number of millivolts are close enough to zero, on the one hand. Of course on the other, what he's alluding to with the remark is the absence of a "forming" voltage.

There does seem to be a little confusion about noise figures. The statement is made that the preamp manages 0.9dB noise figure with a 200 ohm source, but that the equivalent input noise spectral density is 1.9nV/root Hz. This is probably neglecting I sub n, and in any case it would have to be 1.82nV/rt Hz to do 3dB, a good deal worse --- although most recording situations would have a higher ambient than the stated noise anyway.

I think that we should add a discrete output stage to the 1510, and it would be even 'better'.

Exactly my thinking.

Use THAT for the input, add a discrete cascode above them and you should be home and dry. Using something like say 2N5551/2N5401, rated at 140 V, or some such, you should have no problems, but should cash in on thermal stability.

That's assuming you are willing to settle for bipolars rather than FETs.

And I think the price is very reasonable.

Yes, those are solutions, but what's the problem you're trying to solve? Other than fashion and prejudices, of course.

I think it's not about solving problems, it's more about avoiding them by design before they happen.

I lost count of the perfect ciruits, measuring next to perfect, which actually sounded so-so, or even downright poor.

So I learnt to think ahead, mostly in the direction of keeping as many of my options open as possible. I learnt it the hard way, by first not thinking ahead, and then having to slave over something that initially looked great, but turned out not to be so great. And vice versa. So it pays to think ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.