Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Unless I am mistaken Nelson has said that Sony did receive one. As far as Nelson using one at home on a permanent basis, doubtful. The original Sony was built for 70's, or around that decade, trends and technology. Nelson is a leader in new technology and circuits that are an improvement in sound over the Sony V-fet era amplifiers. Hence the popularity and success of Passlabs and Firstwatt. He has many options in his products to choose from for his personal pleasure at home. I expect he is like me and rotates his amplifiers in and out of his home environment.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
not that is overly important , counting on fact that he is capable of doing whatever he want and when he want , but I believe that Papa is rotating amps and speakers in his second Music Room at SR ( for fun and for evaluation) , while in living room permanent are SR1 speakers and XA60.5 amps

also , take in account that - Papa's way of life is that music is constant everyday thing , and dearest amp is always one on he's working now .... way of life is what's primary , amps are "just" result of that
in short , Sony amps are less important than fact that he made them and process of making them

Pa's Kung
is
funniest
Fu

:clown:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
also , take in account that - Papa's way of life is that music is constant
everyday thing , and dearest amp is always one on he's working now ....
way of life is what's primary , amps are "just" result of thatin short , Sony
amps are less important than fact that he made them and process of
making them

By way of satisfying curiosity, there were 6 of the big Sony monoblocks.
Four went to Sony, and I kept two for myself. They are truly wonderful
amplifiers, but eventually the last two went to an individual at Sony.

The important thing about them was the lessons learned in their creation.

Yes, music is a constant. Most of my hours are spent with Jordan J92''s
and Amp Camp Amps at my bench/desk.

DIY constants are the much appreciated ZM and 6L6.

:cheers:

I have managed to land myself a pair of original Sony VFET amplifiers - the TA 4650 and TAN 5550.

I will be checking both of these to replace the death diodes, and if all is otherwise well with voltage checks to the VFETs, also do a recap.

I have a question about this Sony Pass VFET amp - I made my own heatsink brackets (I wish I had bought the kit ones....). I need to make a few adjustments to where the VFETs sit on those brackets - to do that I first need to remove the VFETs.

If I remove & re-seat the VFETs, will I need to run the setup voltage procedure through again?

Thanks, this is a lovely, transparent & clean-sounding amp Nelson. The only thing that comes close is my Sansui AU-X1.

By way of satisfying curiosity, there were 6 of the big Sony monoblocks.
Four went to Sony, and I kept two for myself. They are truly wonderful
amplifiers, but eventually the last two went to an individual at Sony.

The important thing about them was the lessons learned in their creation.

Yes, music is a constant. Most of my hours are spent with Jordan J92''s
and Amp Camp Amps at my bench/desk.

DIY constants are the much appreciated ZM and 6L6.

:cheers:

Nelson is human. That’s cool. 😎

I, among others, hope that those who own these unicorns take them out of the stable once in a while. 💐