Sony TA-8650 integrated amplifier Disassembly

Does anyone know what is required to get the back panel on this amplifier to swivel down? Let me explain further. I have the top panel removed and there are two screws at the top and back that if removed I think will allow the swivel down to occur. But they have built-in washers that I cannot remove due to the side wood panels obstructing them. The side wood panels are each held on by two screws but these are very difficult to get to without removing other parts. This has been a weakness of me as part-time DIYer - getting this stuff apart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Don

Thank you. I have the service manual and I did not realize how simple it was to get the wood panels off once the top panel was removed. Was staring at the interior.
Wood panel attachment.JPG

Side wood panels removed and back panel swiveled down after removing two phillips head screws from each back panel side and three phillips head screws from the underside of the back panel that attach the back panel to the chassis. Ready for replacement of speaker terminal strips and other work. I fabricated the terminal strips from scratch using 1/16" thick acrylic board and binding posts from Amazon.
back panel removal.jpg

Attachments

• back panel removal.jpg
    back panel removal.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 27
Two questions now re: TA-8650 refurb:

1) What needs to be done to remove the wires from plastic connector so that I can replace the connector. I've seen pictures of the new connectors but have not found a reference to remove the old ones.

2) The power supply caps are discharged. I am going to measure the capacitance and maybe other parameters (ESR?). If they still measure good, would you replace them?

Thanks, Don

Joined 2011
Reactions: 1 user
I still need to know how to pull the connectors themselves off. I am used to latched multi-wire computer connectors.

And for the double 10000 and 3000 microfarad caps, I assume they are connected in parallel to make 20,000 microfarad (power amp) and 6000 microfarad (pre-amp) totals, respectively. Is there a picture somewhere showing the connections for replacement using two 10,000 microfarad and two 3000 microfarad caps?