Sony CDP-C201 skipping

Hello everyone, I am new here, and I have an issue with a CD player I just got. It reads the disc just fine, instantly in fact, but it skips around on the tracks a ton, any tips? I also just cleaned the lens on it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240316_214131922.jpg
    PXL_20240316_214131922.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there are many possible causes of skipping.

A full description of the nature of the skipping and where it occurs on the disc may help diagnosis.

Start by looking for mechanical faults such as loose belts, worn or broken gear teeth, dried up lubrication - anything that would impede the smooth movement of the mechanism.

The fact that it is a 5 CD autochanger could complicate matters somewhat!

Skipping at the beginning of the disc can be down to a faulty spindle motor.

Perhaps tipping the player at an angle stops the shaft of the motor from wobbling in a worn bearing.

Try wiggling the motor shaft from side to side to check for any worrying wobble.

Oiling a worn bearing (if it can be reached) can give temporary relief. Eventually the spindle motor will require replacement, which I believe is no simple task.

Apart from checking for the mechanical faults I mentioned earlier, I'm afraid I have nothing further to suggest.

Repairing old CD players requires a service manual, test equipment and an expert understanding of how the blighters work.

And professional repair would cost more than the player is worth!

Ah,alright, Also is there supposed to be a little strip of some material on the spindle? There is not one on mine, and I wonder if there previously was one that fell off and that is preventing proper operation of the mechanism. The spindle tray is just bare metal on mine, and the arm at the top has nothing. Seems like there should be something there to cushion the CD.