• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sonus Faber 6.5" woofers and cheap 3" fullrange and misc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KBK said:
Does the Sonus Faber woofer have a 'stressed', ie, non-centered position of the spyder? It looks like it does. Is this a result of a sagging suspension or is the normal position of the spyder and cone?

:deer:

I think I know what you mean. If the cone faces up or towards the sky, it looks like the spider is lower or closer to the ground in the center than at its radius, correct?

:frosty:

They are both like this, so I would guess it’s normal. Is that not a functionally optimum position?

:snowman2:

I don’t know how much to ask for these woofers and it seems as if no one wants to make an offer, so how much should I ask for?

:deer:

Re: 6.5" woofers

kramster said:
Any idea what the specs are? Hard for anyone to use without them............. how much you asking?

Measuring the electrical, mechanical properties and frequency response of a driver is easy, in my opinion. And obtaining VAS is not too hard either. Calibrating my sound card was the hardest or most time consuming part of processes.

$50 shipped sound good or no? I think I might try UPS for the shipping, see how it goes. The post office got under my skin last time I mailed a package. Yarrr :Pirate:

The stressed spyder creates a point where in the 'neutral' position of the cone, there is less free play. This creates a more 'perfect' sounding midrange. This can also make bass sound more 'taught' or 'tight', or 'articulate' with ported boxes.

Though the specs and any measurements may indicate that such a driver is OK for sealed boxes, the dynamics in the bass are restricted and the whole exercise is thus useless, even though the midrange is just incredible. However, they are optimum for ported boxes, where the 'motional mass' considerations of the ported system dominate the equation of the motional dynamics. In a sealed box, the opposite is more true, and you need a softer suspension with more self excitation or resonance in the driver's overall behaviour. In the process of getting to a lower FS in a sealed box with the softer suspension, for obtaining a far more articulate bass than a ported box...you loose the incredible midrange, as you cannot use this kind of driver. Such is life. Always a compromise.

These woofers you have will make for a VERY musical speaker, that must be ported. Or, conversely, the drivers need to be used in a three-way with a sealed cavity for the mid-bass section.

I have four of the 5" size brand new C-Quenze drivers from Audio Technology (which Sonus Faber sometimes uses).

I had left them in the boxes for two years and wondered if they were broken! I guess they are not, so I can sell them now, with no worries that I'm ripping off the buyer.

Same for the 7" C-Quenze units I have. I can now sell them with no fears I'm ripping off the buyer, by selling them some bad drivers.

The woofers you have seem like they are customized Vifa units. The label and basket are identical to Vifa units, IIRC.

The perfect specification for these woofers is the Sonus Faber box air volume they came out of. This includes the port size and position as well.

KBK said:
These woofers you have will make for a VERY musical speaker, that must be ported. Or, conversely, the drivers need to be used in a three-way with a sealed cavity for the mid-bass section.

I don't follow how you can use them in a 3-way, with a sealed chamber. Thought your whole point was that they shouldn't be used in a sealed chamber.

KBK said:
The perfect specification for these woofers is the Sonus Faber box air volume they came out of. This includes the port size and position as well.

I was just going to copy the cross-over and use them in a 2-way ported box half the volume of 2.5-way they came in with a Vifa tweeter, if I didn't measure the specs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.