Sonic t amp - limitations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Just got my t amp
Connected up as is , and I find that it was all that you guys said it was.
However when I turn the volume up I get a clipping noise from my speakers . This happens at about 50%- 60% of the way.
Is this normal?

I am using a horn loudspeaker with the fostex 108 sigma driver.
Do I need to upgrade the potentiometer and If so can any one suggest one that can be sourced in the U.K.

I'd say it's only that you are running very efficient speakers and hence the volume control doesn't have to turn as far for the amp to clip. Changing the pot isn't going to make any difference IMO, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I use a T-amp on the computer with some quite inefficient speakers, about 86dB and can wind it all the way without clipping. If I had 93dB speakers it would probably clip about 1 o'clock.

You'll have a slightly lower likelihood of clipping if (1) your power supply is on the high side of the recommended range, (2) there's additional supply capacitance to reduce voltage sag on demanding passages.

If you're using AA batteries, you can look into an SLA battery. With SLA I've still found that 4,700UF or more helps delay onset of clipping. Switching from SLA to a beefy 80VA trafo helps even more. The TA2024 is rated for ~13.2V max supply, and has 'best' distortion characteristic at this high voltage. That said, a T-amp + Fostex should play *real* loud.

mb said:
You'll have a slightly lower likelihood of clipping if (1) your power supply is on the high side of the recommended range, (2) there's additional supply capacitance to reduce voltage sag on demanding passages.

If you're using AA batteries, you can look into an SLA battery. With SLA I've still found that 4,700UF or more helps delay onset of clipping. Switching from SLA to a beefy 80VA trafo helps even more. The TA2024 is rated for ~13.2V max supply, and has 'best' distortion characteristic at this high voltage. That said, a T-amp + Fostex should play *real* loud.

The older ones with the solder slugs will take 14.5 volts without a whimper. I accidently left one running at 16.6 volts for about a week. The latest ones without the solder slug will require a heatsink on the 2024 to last at the higher voltages.
The available power is directly related to the supply voltage. I think they sound better at 13.8 - 14.5 volts.

George

using the T-Amp with aVoltkraft Regulated Power Supply Output 13,8V/15A
and a Car Cap With 0,5F the T-Amp working fine with my NAD 8225 Speakers .
Clippingpoint is at 2`oClock .
With a stable Power Supply the T-Amp is working fine and sounds very good !

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.