Son of Ampzilla BUZZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only two versions I know of is one had a power switch and one didn't, mine doesn't. I've always been curious about the lettering on the front behind the usual 19" front panel. Why would they silkscreen the front of the actual chassis then cover it up with another panel? The way the meters are mounted it seems there would have to be another panel all along. Don't know what was going back then.

Craig

I think GAS had a rack mount SOA (flat front)and this model which I would call a shelf model. Heres a pic with the top on. How do you get to the bottom leg of the resistors?

Attachments

• ampzilla3.jpg
    ampzilla3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 120
That looks much better now, is the meter surround part of the top? As for checking the idle current, as you look at the lower board from the side the left side of the big copper coil is connected to all four of the emitter resistors. Connect your meter leads to the coil and to the top of one of the emitter resistors.

Craig

here's a pic of the top. The meter's have a thin plastic reflection sheet that I might leave out, as you can see over the years one of them got hot and looks like it could have burned up the amp. I don't see any point for them. do you? I got about 30 to 40 mv and its running much cooler. I grounded one side of the meter and touched the other to the end of one of the big resistor's and set it to the lowest number. That seemed to work. I did work the Vresistor back and forth to clean it up. You know, this old stuff just needs to cleaned and move to start working again. I've fixed alot of old recevier's just by twisting all the knobs. LOL
Oh ya. I replaced the the RCA (phono) input jacks, the old ones were worn out, and all new lamps. It might be time to close it up.

Attachments

• ampzilla4.jpg
    ampzilla4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 94
  • ampzilla5.jpg
    ampzilla5.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
My reflectors were crispy also, probably just there to make the meters appear brighter. As far as grounding one side of the meter I suppose that will work as long as there is no offset on the output. The output is supposed to be 0VDC as is ground. I would go back and forth tweeking offset and bias until all parameters are met, 0VDC and 30mv. Is this your first piece of GAS equipment?

Craig

Yep first GAS peice, I remember reading about GAS in the late 70's but couldnt afford the stuff. I did have an SAE reciver I think it was a TWO? it was made in japan had wood sides ,cheaply made, I didnt think it sounded that good. I got it with no output and traced it to bad trace's on the board where the jumpers on the back of the receiver hooks the pre to the amp with the U shaped wire. I ended up fixing it and selling it. The stuff I like I keep (this amp is a keeper) the other stuff I move it on. I really enjoy working on stereo stuff so I try to get broken things, plus, most of the time there free or really cheap.
Roy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.